Sign in to follow this  

2005 Kx 250 running backwards

Hey everyone i have a 05 kx 250 that i got recently i maybe rode 10 hours.on it and it died i cleaned the carb got a new plug and it wouldn't run no spark so i checked timing turns out there were no bolts holding the stator assembly and the pickup coil was worn down thru the coils needless to say i replaced the pickup coil yesterday and it fired up and ran like a dream then it died again and i took the cover off and the flywheel was loose i checked it all out and it didn't hurt anything from what i could tell so i torqed it down to specs and fired.it up and the blasted bike ran backwards i have tried advancing it all the way retarding it all the way and it still reverses the fly wheel goes the correct way for a few revolutions then kicks back and goes backwards also when i kick it it kicks back hard enough to break a shin bone any information would be helpful

Let me get this straight when you start your bike the flywheel spins both ways, I'd say if your flywheel is spinning front and then backward your missing the key in your crankshaft or it is damaged somehow

The key is there and not damaged anything i have read or found says timing is the culprit but I've tried every poaition the stator can possibly be in and it still runs baxkwards

So the kickstart turns the engine the correct direction but as soon as the engine fires it immediately reverses direction?

Race that thing backwards. You're guaranteed to get laid.

• Like 3

Yeah but it would look trick lol. I remember when my I accidentally ran my rc car engine backwards lol.

• Like 1

Yeah but it would look trick lol. I remember when my I accidentally ran my rc car engine backwards lol.

Lol, I've done that. In a hurry and solder the motor wire on reversed. Get on the line, beep, pin the throttle and the car goes backwards. :facepalm:

I think everyone who races electric RC has done it at one time or the other.

I wonder if someone lightened the flywheel or something.  The crank itself should have enough mass to prevent running backwards though.  I'd pull the plug and insert a wooden dowel to see where in the stroke the flywheel is triggering the pickup.  This is a CDI ignition so it doesn't necessarily trigger as soon as the pickup reads the flywheel but it should be in the ball park.  With enough ignition retard it shouldn't be able to run backwards.  Something must be pretty far off.

Lol, I've done that. In a hurry and solder the motor wire on reversed. Get on the line, beep, pin the throttle and the car goes backwards. :facepalm:

I think everyone who races electric RC has done it at one time or the other.

yeah but I hat an hpi nitro rs4. Nitro powered engine. I just got it at the time and I put it on backwards in the starter box. When I gave it gas it started going backwards lol. I've done it many times with electric to.

.  I'd pull the plug and insert a wooden dowel to see where in the stroke the flywheel is triggering the pickup.  This is a CDI ignition so it doesn't necessarily trigger as soon as the pickup reads the flywheel but it should be in the ball park. 

Do this ^^^ and come back and tell us what you found.

Also make sure about the flywheel key. Double check it.

Do you have a multimeter?

Have you set the clearance between the pickup and flywheel correctly? --This has to be done for it to run correctly, I haven't seen it mentioned here so.

Funny story to add to this is when I bought my 06 kx250 it came with the bolts loose in the stator and they fell out within the first couple of hours . Regardless to say Kawasaki replaced the works. I'm wondering is this a very low hours bike you got your hands on?

Edited by moose_338

I can not belive that as soon as you kick start the bike and it runs like it should forward then it run backwards thats some crazy shit are u on drugs or some thing

• Like 1

Correct as soon as i give any gas it reverses then i t drives backwards

No way that the motor starts and runs in one direction and then instantaneously reverses direction when you open the throttle.

• Like 1

Well it does that's why it kicksback so hard and i did the dowel thing and if a 2stroke is basically top dead center I'm way advanced but it won't run in any other timing set up