Sign in to follow this  

Noisy motor then locked up but turns over backwards?

A little while ago I replaced the piston and cam chain, afterwards I had a strange knock on lite throttle.

Pulled the motor down again but could not see any problems and decided to ride on as it was not getting any worse. Then last weekend I rode 250 km all ok, stopped for the night, next morning while trying to start it locked up, but I could rotate the morr backwards.

I have not pulled it down yet but I am thinking I might have cam chain adjuster problem, anyone experienced this similar problem.

2009 DRZ400.

A little while ago I replaced the piston and cam chain, afterwards I had a strange knock on lite throttle.

Pulled the motor down again but could not see any problems and decided to ride on as it was not getting any worse. Then last weekend I rode 250 km all ok, stopped for the night, next morning while trying to start it locked up, but I could rotate the morr backwards.

I have not pulled it down yet but I am thinking I might have cam chain adjuster problem, anyone experienced this similar problem.

2009 DRZ400.

Starter clutch broken and starter locked up maybe? Going to have to start taking apart to know anything for sure.

When you say it will turn backwards, is that 2 complete revolutions?

Or just being able to roll it a backwards a little and forwards, not at all?

I think there is no way around it, you have to take the rocker cover off and work your way down.

Also, right hand engine cover but I'm guessing lifting the rocker cover will tell part of the story.

Pull your spark plug out and try turn it over. It could be hydrolocked

• Like 1

Pull your spark plug out and try turn it over. It could be hydrolocked

Or this. Probably this above most anything else. Really easy to check

Oil smell like gas?

I'm voting for hydro-lock, the easy one

From your discription of a noisy motor for 250 km, I would be thinking about the crankshafts rod bearing. They will lock up and break loose easily when turned backwards.

Thanks, good suggestions, I will start pulling it apart next weekend.

Update, not good. I pulled the starter gear out, no problem there.

Decided to drop the oil out, the first litre was coolant so I guess there are some big internal problems.

The top end come off on the weekend.