Sign in to follow this  

Butt kicker lips...

I would say I am generally a capable rider out there. I mean I do ok....not great obviously. When the lips are decent I am pretty confident in my ability to jump. I would actually say there are a number of jumps I dont do that I know I could if I just did em. I am not trying to move up the ranks of MX, but its annoying not doing SOME jumps. Anyhow, I was at a track today, and nearing the end of practice a number of the jumps were getting a bit cupped at the top just before take off. For w/e reason, this always makes me uneasy and fear getting a butt kicker that sends me over azz end high. I would assume that a lil well timed blip of the gas just before launch or just after would counteract the kicker part of it, but is this so? I guess I am asking what is the normal method for dealing with these? I would try to move over if I could, find a smoother line, but some of the jumps looked like the whole thing was getting like that.

Lot of times when the track gets deteriorated to that point, I just leave. I don't want to do that, because I dont mind the chop in straights, etc....but I lose the confidence to jump jumps I always do when they arent so bad because I don't wanna end up hurt and missing work, etc.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

It depends. Are they so cupped out your suspension wont absorb it? For me it always looks worse then it is and when I hit it I barely feel it.

Around here it usually get's rutted, and it's the end of the ruts that get hooked out. The number one thing is look where you want to go. By the time your on the face you should be looking past the lip. As they get bigger I'm sure some adjustment gets made, but I couldn't tell you what it is. I actually like a little extra lip at the end of the lip, it helps bring the front end down so I don't have to.

When your jumping your reaction to the face should be automatic. You can look at the jump all day, it's never the same as when you're hitting it for the first time. It's your feel on the last bike length on the face and into the air that makes or breaks the jump. Start small and work your way up.

When I'm sizing up and looking at how to hit it I almost always end up over estimating the effect these kinds of things have. Usually they aren't bad at all.

Edited by Die_trying

Yea that is kind of my fear of the unknown of what it will cause if I am at the speed I usually would be to make the same jump as I would with a reasonably smooth lip where I never even think about the take off at all. I think its mental more then anything because when I went off them a lil slower I never felt the double lip. I dont know if they would be worse at normal speed because I didnt do it. TBH i was already a lil tired and I think that coupled with seeing them kind of killed my confidence. On one of them I tried to blip it a lil more at take off, but I f'd that launch all up lol...ended up going wheelie over it which I havent done in a long time. SO, I kinda called it quits for the day. For me, I "listen to my moto". If I am making stupid mistakes I dont make usually or just downright lose my edge....I stop. It just isnt worth the risks that come with a lack of confidence or being fatigued for me.

I guess I need to just hit them still in the future and just start small until I have better first hand knowledge of what changes need to be made, if any, and go from there. Maybe they werent even as big of a deal as I made them out to be in my head in the moment, but again being tired and already not feeling "good" just made matters worse for my mental side of it. In my 2nd and 3rd motos I had a bike issue where it was flaming out on me and not wanting to restart wortha damn. I ended up in the 3rd moto kicking my balls off and having to push it back part way. That kinda crap just tires you out and it kinda ruined the rest of the day for me leading to frustration/ undue fatigue. I tweaked a few things and went out for the last moto, the bike ran fine, but I just didnt have it anymore...That kind of aids to the lower confidence which maybe influences my mental issue with deteriorating lips.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

It's hard. Show up late after the tracks worn in and it can be hard to find a groove. Show up early and your worn out by the time it's beat up. Natural Terrain jumps were how I learned to jump the rough stuff.

edit: and I never blip the throttle on the face. Coming into the face I'll blip before and through. You sound like you already got that figured out.

Edited by Die_trying

When the faces start getting cupped out pretty badly I find it most useful to really attack the jump and hit it with a bit more speed. Come at the jump face faster, head out over the front number plate and really drive the forks into the face and let the fork rebound keep you level. As a bonus you'll also jump lower while all the other guys are blipping the throttle off the lip and popping way up in the air.

Practice this on smooth jumps at first until you get the feel for it and then work it into jumps with rough faces. This technique is good to use on any jump you can clear easily as you'll stay lower and carry more forward momentum.

jumps that are "Lipped" out can be scary.

speed is the key.

body position also

make sure there is a bit of distance between the seat and your backside, otherwise if it kicks up you need the space so the momentum wont "push " your weight forward.

some use of throttle in the air will pull the back down.