Sign in to follow this  

02-04 yz 125 CDI relocation (bonus rebuid pics)

So after a full rebuild, frame paint, new pipe, i started to reinstall everything back by the parts catalogue, and when i was installing the CDI i was wondering what was wrong...but no! that horrible location is the factory location.

Cabling coming out from the CDI tend to be really close to the carburetor, the overall position in the frame of the CDI is too "low" in the frame, so if you ride trails, you end up probably submerging the CDI in water, and even considering it's a "sealed" unit, when the thing has got 10+ years on it, is something i tend to question. Not to mention that replacing a CDI is kind of expensive.

Is there any drawback when you relocate the CDI (i was thinking behind the numberplate, using custom cabling, or building a new mount to keep the CDI between the upper engine mount plates, or "seal" inside a container and moving it into the airbox)

Any experiences on this?

I'll post some pics of my rebuild, because it's fresh and i want to share my hard work :)

you'll see some CDI relocation tests on a couple of them.

IMG_20140614_123349.jpg

IMG_20140614_134134.jpg

IMG_20140614_152736.jpg

I wouldnt get too excited about it. Theyre sealed pretty well. If youre really concerned, you can toss some silicone on the exit point of the wires...maybe some dielectric grease here n there. 

But...i have the feeling youre gonna relocate it anyway...lol