oil coming out of the breather hose

i just changed the oil on my uncles 03 yz450f, the last oil change i did i changed the oil filter and drained the oil and only put 1 quart of oil in it(did not know you were suppost to put extra in if you change the oil filter) and rode it for a few light rides at my house, i changed the oil earlier today and i put around 1 1/3 of a quart in and it started spewing oil from the breather hose ontop of the valve cover after i rode it around, i let the oil come out of the hose for a minut or so, then i added a little bit of oil and rode it around again(figured the amount of the oil that came out would have dropped the oil to a low level) and only a few drops came out. i added a tad more oil and rode it around again and none came out of the breather hose. im wondering if i over filled and that was the cause of it? and why when i added more oil that it stopped spewing oil, i went through nearly two quarts

Are you sure you're not confusing the tranny oil with the engine oil?

? as far as i know it doesnt take seperate oil, https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/389710-need-help-changing-oil-on-06-yz450f/

i found this and its basicly what i did. drained all the oil from the bottem drain bolt and gave it a few kicks to try to get as much as i can out. put the bolt back in and filled it up with 1 1/3 quarts of oil that was recommended to me by the local shop

They are separate. You fill the engine oil on the left side that's where the dip stick is. The right side is the tranny oil and there is only a check bolt for that side. I hope you didn't run it without any oil in the engine side.

i changed just the left side, never drained or changed the right/tranny side as i thought hondas were the ones who did them seperate

Oh man I just read your first post wrong I thought you were talking crf doh! I'm not sure about your bike but I know it should have a dipstick.

haha i was gonna say you confused me there for a minut. and yea its just a normal plug to fill oil in and doesnt have a dipstick on the end of it. i dont see where they could put one on the plug either as it can only go probably a half inch into the motor before it touches the parts inside

Check for a small round piece of glass along the bottom of either the clutch or flywheel cover. My best guess (if it has one) is somewhere below the output shaft, but I can not be positive because I'm not too familiar with these bikes.

They are separate. You fill the engine oil on the left side that's where the dip stick is. The right side is the tranny oil and there is only a check bolt for that side. I hope you didn't run it without any oil in the engine side.

This is incorrect.  The YZF, in all sizes and variants up to and including the '13 models, are a dry sump oiling system that shares engine oil with the transmission and internal drive systems.  The transmission is in fact pressure fed oil from the system feed pump.  It's all one oil supply.

However, it's kept in two places. The oil "tank" is the front upper section of the frame, so there's a drain plug there, and dip stick located in front of the gas tank on the left side of the frame, behind the steering head, like the '04.  There's a second drain plug under the transmission that drains the crankcase sump, and if it doesn't get drained, you will leave amounts of oil ranging from a few ounces to over a quart in the system.

Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/746100-first-4-strokehelp-please/#entry7615908

? as far as i know it doesnt take seperate oil, https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/389710-need-help-changing-oil-on-06-yz450f/

i found this and its basicly what i did. drained all the oil from the bottem drain bolt and gave it a few kicks to try to get as much as i can out. put the bolt back in and filled it up with 1 1/3 quarts of oil that was recommended to me by the local shop

Kicking it while it has drained does not seem like a good idea to me. I just drain it with the oil warm after I shut the bike off.

i just changed the oil on my uncles 03 yz450f, the last oil change i did i changed the oil filter and drained the oil and only put 1 quart of oil in it(did not know you were suppost to put extra in if you change the oil filter) and rode it for a few light rides at my house, i changed the oil earlier today and i put around 1 1/3 of a quart in and it started spewing oil from the breather hose ontop of the valve cover after i rode it around, i let the oil come out of the hose for a minut or so, then i added a little bit of oil and rode it around again(figured the amount of the oil that came out would have dropped the oil to a low level) and only a few drops came out. i added a tad more oil and rode it around again and none came out of the breather hose. im wondering if i over filled and that was the cause of it? and why when i added more oil that it stopped spewing oil, i went through nearly two quarts

I was having the same thing on my 06 450 and I think I just filled the oil up a tad to much. I checked the oil level after the first ride and it was right at the high mark, so I think it's just a little bit of oil migrating up the breather tube. I would follow the steps Gray said and just keep an eye on it.

Kicking it while it has drained does not seem like a good idea to me. I just drain it with the oil warm after I shut the bike off.

You can run a motor for a little bit with out it being full of oil, there's still a bunch of oil coating the parts to give the parts protection from wear but not the heat that is generated.

• Like 1