Sign in to follow this  

Xr400 too big?

Would an xr400 be to big for me? I'm 15, 5'7 140 pounds and Ive been riding bikes for a few years now so I have pretty good experience. I ride mostly trails, woods and the occasional track day. I'm just coming off an rm100 but Ive ridden 250fs and 650s. Is this bike too big? Thanks

I'm roughly your same size and have ridden an xr 400 quite a bit, if I were u I would get a 125 or 200 2 stroke because they are SO much lighter and more fun. Don't get me wrong the xr's are great machines but they are heavy and there is nothing worse than falling over on a steep rocky hill and not being able pick it up or start it up. I ride a cr 125 ad it is perfectly capable on all kinds of trails.

I agree with Soulges....get a 125 or 200 2t. I ride an XR400 but mostly trails and no track riding at all. You'll want something lighter for that kinda work.

Well I don't really want a 2t because of all of the maintenance and stuff. Plus I don't want to rebuild it after 50 or whatever hours. Don't get me wrong I love the 2 strokes but I also need something to street legalize next year as a dual purpose when I get my motorcycle license. I don't do hardcore enduro, but I go to pits often and go through some wet a swampy places and the occasional hill climb. And I only ride maybe 10% track. What would be your opinions on the klx300 or xr250? Do they atleast have decent power and suspension?

^^ what he said. The WR's are great bikes and have the luxury of e-start.

Well I don't really want a 2t because of all of the maintenance and stuff. Plus I don't want to rebuild it after 50 or whatever hours. Don't get me wrong I love the 2 strokes but I also need something to street legalize next year as a dual purpose when I get my motorcycle license. I don't do hardcore enduro, but I go to pits often and go through some wet a swampy places and the occasional hill climb. And I only ride maybe 10% track. What would be your opinions on the klx300 or xr250? Do they atleast have decent power and suspension?

I doubt if you can just 'street legalize' a dirtbike in New Brunswick.

Most places won't issue license plates for a dirtbike.

You are better off having a dirtbike for the dirt and a streetbike for the street.

No you can legalize it no problem you just need to install a light kit and then street and trail tires. No big deal

• Like 1

I doubt if you can just 'street legalize' a dirtbike in New Brunswick.

Most places won't issue license plates for a dirtbike.

You are better off having a dirtbike for the dirt and a streetbike for the street.

sammeh is right it's fairly easy to make dirt bikes street legal, atleast in ct it is, and I know other states are easy too, I just got off the phone with the dmv today, and they sent me all the things I would need to do to a bike to make it street worthy, and since I'm In the market for another bike again I also asked if a 2 stroke can be made street legal and they said as long as it is above 50cc so I guess I'm good on that too, which is great because the 4 stroke enduro bikes are so much more then the 2 stroke ones

I'll agree with the WR250.  Especially a newer, fuel injected model.  Also the CRFX might be a good option for you as well.

Also, I'm 6'1", 210 lbs, and I feel like the XR400 is too heavy for me (when riding mountain trails).  Unless your plan is to be blasting across the desert, I'd steer clear of the XR4.  

Edited by Mudd94

Would an xr400 be to big for me? I'm 15, 5'7 140 pounds and Ive been riding bikes for a few years now so I have pretty good experience. I ride mostly trails, woods and the occasional track day. I'm just coming off an rm100 but Ive ridden 250fs and 650s. Is this bike too big? Thanks

The XR 400 is reliable, it has a lot of low end torque and has an extremely plush ride, it's kind of like a recliner on wheels. If you want something speedy that screams out crank the throttle check out the CRF250X. It all boils down to what you value : Do you want reliability and comfort? XR over the CRF. Do you want speed and handling? CRF over the XR.