2003 rm 250 set up for the woods

Picked up a near mint shape 03 rm 250 because the riding I like doing was getting a bit tough on my drz 400... have put about 20 hours on the bike over a handfull of trips both short and long. No mx at all.

The bike will be used strictly off road and I am looking for opinions from anyone who has a similar setup. The bike has a flywheel weight but I believe it is the smallest one stealthy offers. I like the snap when it comes on the pipe but I may go to a larger weight for the tight slow sections. Other than the fww the only off road orented parts installed are a kickstand (swingarm clamp style), bar risers (up and forward) and hand guards.

Are there any skid plates that are better than others? Want one with the "wings" to protect the water pump. I can get a ricochet offroad one for a decent price (in canada also so no border fees and free shipping)

For the suspension I am looking for a bit more of a plush ride. I havent played with the sag as the previous owner was about my size and he set it up for him. I will play with that and see if I need to re-spring. I have talked to a guy on here about his woods setup and got his base valve stack that I am going to try. Basically just changing the .15 shims out for .1's and removing a few of the larger diameter shims all together. Any input on this at all is greatly appreciated as this will be my first venture into revalving suspension. I am roughtly 200 lbs and 5'11" if that helps.

Just looking for some opinions or suggestions from others who ride their 250 smokers in the woods! I am not overly fast but I get faster every ride and would like to try my luck at HS races this summer.

Cant believe I havent snapped a pic of the bike yet. Will post one tomorrow!

I have a 2005. Use it a lot in the woods, some track time, too. Previous owner sold it to me after he couldn't switch from 4 to 2 stroke. He did a lot to broaden and smooth out the power - VForce, reed spacer, PC pipe and throttle that opens more slowly. I later added a flywheel weight but not sure it was needed.

Result is a great off-road motor. This bike will idle down through nasty stuff and then just pull and pull until the throttle stops. It doesn't blubber sputter or sign off. It just goes and sounds great while doing it.

I rode a 2003 RM once and thought it was a good bit more pipey. I sprung my bike (lighter) for my weight which has been good but rode a friend's 02 that has Racetech golds and realized the valving isn't what it could be.

The clutch was grabby but took some advice on here and switched to AFT type F with good results.

These bikes are good, you will enjoy, wish Suzuki would make another batch.

• Like 3

I have a 2005. Use it a lot in the woods, some track time, too. Previous owner sold it to me after he couldn't switch from 4 to 2 stroke. He did a lot to broaden and smooth out the power - VForce, reed spacer, PC pipe and throttle that opens more slowly. I later added a flywheel weight but not sure it was needed.

Result is a great off-road motor. This bike will idle down through nasty stuff and then just pull and pull until the throttle stops. It doesn't blubber sputter or sign off. It just goes and sounds great while doing it.

I rode a 2003 RM once and thought it was a good bit more pipey. I sprung my bike (lighter) for my weight which has been good but rode a friend's 02 that has Racetech golds and realized the valving isn't what it could be.

The clutch was grabby but took some advice on here and switched to AFT type F with good results.

These bikes are good, you will enjoy, wish Suzuki would make another batch.

I have heard that the newer rm's dont have such a "lightswitch style" powerband. It seems even with the fww that the bike has a nasty snap when it comes on the pipe. It has a great bottom end though and will tractor through the tight stuff but I think with a bigger weight or if it was modded a bit more for bottom end I wouldn't have to use the clutch so much when the going gets rough. Its a bit of a handfull but its also a lot of fun! That violent power delivery really keeps you alert! I am just waiting for it to throw me into the rhubarb one of these times...

So you liked the 02 with the gold valves? Noticable difference? I may end up with a set but I am hoping that I can get it set up a bit better for the time being and save up for the gold valves over the winter.

The gold valves made the bike feel more in control, not as busy. Hard to describe but mainly noticed it when moving through big sand whoops, third gear. Bike tracked straight and didn't feel skiddish.

I think there are some 03 suggestions on this site to get that motor more workable. I would do that then fiddle with suspension.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just bought a used 2003 RM 250. Has some after market parts. My question is, how do I know if it already has a reed spacer? It appears to have one. Does stock just have the boot bolted directly to the cylinder? Mine has a gold "spacer" about 1/4 inch wide between the boot and cylinder. Thanks for any answers

I just bought a used 2003 RM 250. Has some after market parts. My question is, how do I know if it already has a reed spacer? It appears to have one. Does stock just have the boot bolted directly to the cylinder? Mine has a gold "spacer" about 1/4 inch wide between the boot and cylinder. Thanks for any answers

thats not a spacer it is the rees cage. The boot goes up against the reed cage then against the engine
  • Like 1