Sign in to follow this  

Coolant leak

So it looks like a stick stabbed the bottom of my coolant hose. It's tore to a bit above the clamp. Only a small leak but my engine temp warning light came on so I pulled over letting it cool down. I checked the resavuar on the right side of the tank and coolant looks full so I think I'm okay to make it home after it cools a bit. Now can I just cut the end of the coolant have and slide it down or will that bring the hose to close to the engine?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402801534.015814.jpg

Now's your chance to get some of those fancy red or blue ones i see on e-bay ?(maybe TT store has them? Link up top here on this forum BTW?)? I would only slide it down till i could get a new one myself??

I'm hoping i can just cut off an inch and shimmy it down.. i guess we will find out tomorrow.. hopefully it isn't a mess of coolant when i cut it!

PS Red ones could look cool on the bike! and i'm sure they are cheaper than stock :p

Edited by shiftline
  • Like 1

Yes your gona have a mess of coolant if you take that hose off to cut it.  I gues you could try to cut some of the hose off without pulling it all the way off the barb and then shove it down farther.  You should really just get a new hose thou and replace the coolant.  A new hose cant be that much, stuff for this bike is pretty cheap.  Replacing/flushing the coolant wouldnt be bad anyway, I did mine this spring and it had a slight bit of metallic in it.  Also this bike only holds 1 quart of coolant.  You can put just about any coolant in this bike, most of it these days is all aluminum safe since the vast majority of motors/cooling systems now have aluminum in them.

And to your original post, just because the coolant tank looks full, dosnt mean anything.  That tank can be full while the rest of the system is totally empty.  It will only draw coolant out of that tank and into the radiator when the bike sits and the motor cools down.

• Like 2

You're gonna make a mess anyways, might as well change it. Just my .02 cents. But it's easy to say that, it's quite possible I'd just shimmy it down as well lol. But to get a clean cut, you're making a mess when you remove it. Honestly, it's probably easier to change it than to cut it.

Your. Right. Honda is closed today/tomorrow. So I guess she is parked til Tuesday.

After pressure washing her I snapped a new pic of the carnage

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402853934.895279.jpg

• Like 2

This makes me wonder...has anyone used the DRC coolant hoses? Also has anyone used engine ice in place of the honda coolant? Just wondering...

Never heard of engine ice, but I've used Water Wetter instead of coolant on my Honda sport bikes and loved it. Bike ran cooler on hot days by about 10 degrees. Downside is it doesn't have any anti freeze in it so if you live in a cold climate you have to change to anti freeze in winter. I personally live in an area where it rarely gets below freezing, and if it's anywhere near that temp, my bike is in the garage anyways.

Glad you posted, I totally forgot about that stuff and will probably drain mine and use Water Wetter.

• Like 1

Never heard of engine ice, but I've used Water Wetter instead of coolant on my Honda sport bikes and loved it. Bike ran cooler on hot days by about 10 degrees. Downside is it doesn't have any anti freeze in it so if you live in a cold climate you have to change to anti freeze in winter. I personally live in an area where it rarely gets below freezing, and if it's anywhere near that temp, my bike is in the garage anyways.

Glad you posted, I totally forgot about that stuff and will probably drain mine and use Water Wetter.

I've only read about the engine ice, it's supposed to be better than the water wetter.... Edited by Brk4moose

I've only read about the engine ice, it's supposed to be better than the water wetter....

I'll have to check it out. It gets hot here, so anything to cool things down will help.

I bought some engine ice, just havnt switched over yet. 

Im guessing you mix the water wetter with distilled water?  If so, that combo is probably hard to beat for cooling.  Water itself has better cooling properties/transfers heat better than any antifreeze.  If you dont have to worry about freezing temps than the water+water wetter would probably work better.  Only problem with pure water, without additives/antifreeze, etc, is it eventually leads to corrosion inside your motor, unless you change it with fresh, pure water on a regular basis.

Theres also a product called "Evans waterless coolant" that sounds pretty interesting.  Thou I dont think it really cools much, if any, more than water or antifreeze mixes, it avoids the "downfalls" of a water based coolant/antifreeze.  Like corrosion, expansion, lower boiling point, etc.  With the Evans you can run the system with zero pressure and and the boiling point is so high it would still never boil over.  Theres some "Jay Leno's Garage" vids on youtube about the stuff, look it up, pretty interesting.

• Like 2