Sign in to follow this  

WR250R Beef up for off road

Depending on where you are riding it and how aggressive you are on it, radiator guards are a good idea.  I can't think of a reason for rear bag rails unless you are going to run saddlebags off road.  Regardless of what you do to protect your bike, you will break something that you haven't thought to protect.

Edited by USED YZ426F

Check if PO removed passenger pegs. They provide some protection.

Edited by gatorfan

Unless you are looking to take someone along with you, you can skip the passenger pegs.  They do offer a little protection, but not really enough to warrant getting a replacement set.

I think i'll leave the pegs out. Was riding to a trail/camp sight 200 miles away from home today. Noticed that I had a bit of trouble keeping up with 70mph+ traffic but the bike did great on the trail. Also noticed that I needed extra fuel. The rotopax came today so that should help on the next trip.

20140621_203936.jpg20140622_082052.jpg20140622_082614.jpg20140622_082621.jpg20140622_084025.jpg20140622_184011.jpg20140622_184103.jpg

There is a local desert racer finishing 100 milers on his WR250R. It's quite a sight to see the bike pounding whoops and barreling through rocks in sand, silt, creek crossings for 100 frickin' miles.

One of the rear disk guards from Flatland Racing is worth it if you frequent rock gardens. I have one on mine ever since I saw the rock impact marks on the chain guide. Beats ruining the disk and a sudden, unplanned stop. Cheaper, too. I'm referring to the blast proof shark fin they sell, with the replaceable fin. 

Maybe it is your altitude, but I have no problem keeping up with 70 MPH traffic, although it isn't fun (a bit breezy compared to my more road oriented bikes).  I am also running 13/47 final drive, not the stock too-high-for-almost-anything gearing. I find my regearing actually lets me achieve a higher top speed than stock.