Sign in to follow this  

Honda CR250 1988

Got myself a nice present and project. Did not finish my first project jet, but this CR250 was to intresting to let go.

It needs some work.

- leeking water in the waterpump area

- like to refurbish the wheels (dont now how)

- retore all plastics

- etcetera

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402815082.966161.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402815120.867819.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402815137.819701.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402815171.420743.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402815204.958335.jpg

• Like 2

Read about it. The crank house could be cracked on the inside.

Hope its not

No nothings cracked on the inside, this is a very common problem of the 88 cr250, mines has it to, makes me wish I went for an 89, what the problem is, is the inside of the water pump is made from magnesium, after so many years the coolant has corroded it away on the inside causing the leak, for a true fix you need to get a housing off an 89, personally I'm just going to fix my leak with steel reinforced epoxy, when I get to it

My 88 has had some mild port work but is other wise stock and it still beats modern 250's, I love it! Aside from this silly leak in the engine

Swingarm and linkage will be fun.

What you mean.

That its a lot work?

I noticed that the rear shock is a little weak.

But thats for in the end of the project

I want the Reiger Suspension in.

Hope to get the waterpump out tonight. To take a look at the problem.

What's the story on that bike. Where u find? Who you buy it off of.

Dont now the story of the bike.

I bought it in Germany (im from Holland) of a Guy who had it for 4 or 5 years. He told me that a CR500 swingarm was installed.

Do you now something about the story?

I took the waterpump housing of tonight.

I did not have much time, so it was a small inspection,

But i think its not in so bad shape.

I could not loosen the coolantfan, when i turn the nut the engine is turning as well.(some tips are welcome)

Edited by deke38

Haha gross, years of corrosion at work there.. wonder what mines gonna look like.. gulp, ya I don't know exactly where the leak would form, but I'm pretty sure you have to take the right hand side engine cover off to find it.. to pop the nut just stick it in gear, like fifth gear, that should provide enough support to pop that nut off.. have you checked the oil yet? Does it look like a nasty milkshake?

Edited by xs850triple

No nothings cracked on the inside, this is a very common problem of the 88 cr250, mines has it to, makes me wish I went for an 89, what the problem is, is the inside of the water pump is made from magnesium, after so many years the coolant has corroded it away on the inside causing the leak, for a true fix you need to get a housing off an 89, personally I'm just going to fix my leak with steel reinforced epoxy, when I get to it

My 88 has had some mild port work but is other wise stock and it still beats modern 250's, I love it! Aside from this silly leak in the engine

I restored a 1988 cr250r to perfection. It was a 200.00 blown up roach. 2k later I have a perfect bike that turns heads and keeps up with any modern 250. I will tell you your right on the pits in the magnesium. I filled mine with quik steel. Once you take the water pump out u will find the shaft is scored. And may need replacing also the bearings and seals will need be replaced. I could right a book on these bikes. A lot of things wear out on 88 crs.

• Like 1

I restored a 1988 cr250r to perfection. It was a 200.00 blown up roach. 2k later I have a perfect bike that turns heads and keeps up with any modern 250. I will tell you your right on the pits in the magnesium. I filled mine with quik steel. Once you take the water pump out u will find the shaft is scored. And may need replacing also the bearings and seals will need be replaced. I could right a book on these bikes. A lot of things wear out on 88 crs.

Here's my cr250r. Just need to put on a new rear rim to match the front.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402974802.637438.jpg

• Like 1

Did not check the oil yet.

Hope its not a milkshake

Edited by deke38

I wanna show mine off :p

I am jealous of yours, I just love the look of the red seat.. mines originally blue, with black vinyl paint on it, and I'd sure love a shiny pipe.. to think I wanted to sell this, then one day I leaned it up against my trx250 and realized how could I separate these 2! They're like matching brothers.. if I could get some modern front forks I'd be very happy with this bike

Anyways on that part number, is that for the whole side case? Cuz for one, I looked and I didn't know they could still be bought, but 2 is it still magnesium? I mean you'll still get another 30 year's out of it but it'll be prone to the same problem. Take some pics when you get it apart! Makes me wanna tackle mine now.. just don't wanna pay to take that paddle tire off as it was $15 to install it and I haven't rode on it once!

1402989945824.jpg

I wanna show mine off :p

I am jealous of yours, I just love the look of the red seat.. mines originally blue, with black vinyl paint on it, and I'd sure love a shiny pipe.. to think I wanted to sell this, then one day I leaned it up against my trx250 and realized how could I separate these 2! They're like matching brothers.. if I could get some modern front forks I'd be very happy with this bike

Anyways on that part number, is that for the whole side case? Cuz for one, I looked and I didn't know they could still be bought, but 2 is it still magnesium? I mean you'll still get another 30 year's out of it but it'll be prone to the same problem. Take some pics when you get it apart! Makes me wanna tackle mine now.. just don't wanna pay to take that paddle tire off as it was $15 to install it and I haven't rode on it once!

Your bike look like a 88 or 89 as well, then it originally had a red Seat.

I really like the 86 model. That has a blue Seat. I love that one.

But first restore this one. I now im not that quick.

About the part.

I think its from Aluminium now and not magnesium.

11340-KS7-831 new Alu part

11340-KS7-830 Old magnesium part

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402995269.878101.jpg

When i get it apart i will take a lot of pictures.

• Like 1