Sign in to follow this  

Do you alway know what gear your in? Or ride by feel?

One of my bad habits is I never pay attention to what gear I am in, I just ride by feel! Any tips to keep track of what gear ur in.

And ha ah don't just say count!.... Really I know it may sound lame even at my age! I've just never really kept track.

Feel.  

I used to worry about not knowing, thinking it MUST matter but, recently, the best rider I've ever ridden with, was a pro for three years, told me he never knew, it was always feel and it was far more important to pay attention to what Macas said, above, what the bike wants, and was not a good idea to let yourself become distracted by worrying about what gear you're in. It does not matter. What matters is what the bike wants and needs to do what you're asking it to do at any given second. If you're a person who happens to just know, great, if you don't, that's fine too, just ride the bike.

• Like 7

One of my bad habits is I never pay attention to what gear I am in, I just ride by feel! Any tips to keep track of what gear ur in.

And ha ah don't just say count!.... Really I know it may sound lame even at my age! I've just never really kept track.

That isn't a bad habit!!!  It's the right way.  If you need to down/up shift then just do so.  WAY better things to focus on when riding than the number of gear you're in....

I "run out of" gears all the time...lol.  I must think I ride an 18 speed cause I'm always clickin' up, lookin' for more gears that just ain't there :smirk:

Oh, I should add though that when you really get to know your machine, and you really want to think about what year you are in.....you will just know by feel.  Sometimes when I'm riding and for some reason I do want to be conscious of the gear I'm in.  I'll be like "hmmm...feels like I'm in 3rd"....then when I downshift to the bottom to verify it.....I'm always right.  So to answer your question, maybe time on the machine is key :excuseme:

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 4

After you ride the same bike for a while you get to know what gear you're in by feel anyway. I'm like everyone else though, don't give it much thought and just go.

• Like 3

That isn't a bad habit!!! It's the right way. If you need to down/up shift then just do so. WAY better things to focus on when riding than the number of gear you're in....

I "run out of" gears all the time...lol. I must think I ride an 18 speed cause I'm always clickin' up, lookin' for more gears that just ain't there :smirk:

yeah same here I don't keep track, I ride by feel when it's time to shift do so.. I'm more consentrated on what What I'm coming up 2

yeah same here I don't keep track, I ride by feel when it's time to shift do so.. I'm more consentrated on what What I'm coming up 2

I must have been in the middle of an edit when you quoted me...lol

I ride MX bikes off road, so close ratio transmission. I rarely pay attention to what gear I'm in unless I'm taking off from a stop. Like others have said, keep your motor in the sweet spot for conditions whether that means lugging for traction or screaming hard for acceleration. The bike doesn't care what gear you are in, why should you?

• Like 2

Feel! Unless I'm riding a track for the first time then I get an idea for what gear is 'working' best in my spot lap. If I think it's a third/four track I just tick a mental box and that's it, I don't think any more about first-second-third-four etc I just know...

I "run out of" gears all the time...lol. I must think I ride an 18 speed cause I'm always clickin' up, lookin' for more gears that just ain't there :smirk:

This is my problem too.

I need to regear higher.

I like to ride faster, so constantly looking for another gear.

After you ride the same bike for a while you get to know what gear you're in by feel anyway. I'm like everyone else though, don't give it much thought and just go.

That is true. You know what gear of the bike you're in by the feel of it. You're not only riding by the feel, but you know what gear you're in too just by the feel too...hopefully you get what I'm trying to say...

I ride MX bikes off road, so close ratio transmission. I rarely pay attention to what gear I'm in unless I'm taking off from a stop. Like others have said, keep your motor in the sweet spot for conditions whether that means lugging for traction or screaming hard for acceleration. The bike doesn't care what gear you are in, why should you?

Yea but how about what kind of oil it wants ?  :p

• Like 1

Yea but how about what kind of oil it wants ? :p

Easy! My bikes talk to me. They say stuff like "I love you Mike for keeping clean HP4M in me".

• Like 3

Easy! My bikes talk to me. They say stuff like "I love you Mike for keeping clean HP4M in me".

I know how much you like the oil threads  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Never gave it much thought, I definitely agree on do what the bike wants. I usually will know when I'm in 2nd or 3rd by feel, but I can never tell if I'm in 4th or 5th and do the extra click thing as well.

One tip for staying concentrated to what your doing is keeping track of the gear you're in. For me keeping track keeps my mind focused on what I am doing and my mind doesn't wander.