Sign in to follow this  

read every post out there - still won't start

bike is crf250r 2005, engine was totally rebuild (lower+top end+valves+timing).

i have tried to kick start it with no success, not even one backfire. I've checked tensioner + cam chain again - every thing is within the marks.

I haven't tried to bump start it yet. Any ideas what should i check\do next? I'm about to loose it and put it at the nearest dealer for mucho $$ (most likely)

thanks 

Hey sorry you are having so much trouble with your bike. I just had a similar situation but mine was valves and top end issues. Did you do the work yourself? The reason I ask is so that you can know exactly that everything was done right. It could be several things. It can be something as simple as the kill switch. Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch? Also did you do any work to the carb? Do you smell gas like it is getting to much? If you used carb cleaner for those carbs it could have messed up the float seal or during your rebuild the carb sat for a while with fuel in it..the jets could be clogged.. also you can try a compression check and make sure its getting compression. I could be wrong but I think this motor calls for like 57 psi for compression. And last but not least check the TDC on the motor. When doing this make sure the lines line up on the bottom end and as well on the camshaft gear. While at TDC make sure your cam lobes are facing towards the back of the bike. If all that is correct check your clearances. Your intake valves should be at .005 and your exhaust should be .008 to .011... let me know if that helps. I know I am all over the place..I am just typing as ideas run thru my head. Good luck and if I missed anything please feel free to correct me. I am in the process of learning these motors.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

All the work on the motor was done by a mechanic and Fastheads (due to lack of time) . I have just brought the engine and put it back on the frame.

The carb wasn't cleaned but i will check the the float seal to be sure. 

Fuel is getting there and the plug is wet\moist. the lines on the cam are lined, I'll check the clearance again.

The kill switch was disconnected - that wasn't the issue as well.

Strange...

Have you checked for spark?

And +1 for double and triple checking your cam timing. Not just by the marks on the cams, but also by verifying TDC. 1 tooth off will give you fits. (Been there)