2003 cr 250 woods bike. need pointers and advice

I recently acquired a 2003 cr 250 and im looking to make it into a woods bike and im looking for advice on making it a 2 stroke woods beast. my last bike was a 4 stroke 250 and it was great for riding in the woods but it just never had that power to pick up the front end up when I would come up on an unexpected log or rock on the trail and then I would go down, before that I had a kx 250 and it was ok in the woods after I put a fly wheel weight in it but it fouled plugs and it wouldn't idle and made it difficult to teach my kid to ride, heres a list of things im going to get for my cr 250, do I need anything else and any advice would be great.

1st thing is a kick stand from trail tech

2nd  a flywheel weight, any advice on the weight I should get?

3rd bark busters

4th gearing! any idea what will make this bike single track friendly?

is there anything else I need? does anyone make something for this bike to carry plugs and wrenches to change plugs?

I have a 04 CR250 I got v force 3 reeds pro taper contour woods bars, pro Curcuit pipe w R3o4 scilencer, I use golden spectro pre mix and never foul out plugs in the woods.. I'm interested in puting in a fly wheel wieght as well.. Can someone recommend what wieght to go with and tips on installing

I ride tight, rooty, muddy, and steep terrain. 13/50 is good for it. Some guys run 13/53, but I have a rekluse and try to keep the momentum up.

Rad guards, skid plate, hand guards, proper jetting, flywheel weight, and suspension tuning will be where my money would be spent.

Reeds, pipes, motor work, etc are all nice, but certainly not necessary.

When I bought my bike, the previous owner had really geared down the bike with a 12 tooth sprocket. My bike would just walk over everything which was awesome in the tight trails/hills. Ran out of gear fast on the long straights and was terrible at the dunes. 

For woods riding, toss the stock mikuni carb and install a PWK airstryker. Theres many threads on this carb so i'll keep it short.

The carb solves the hard to jet issues of the stocker as well as improves throttle response and low end power. It also doesnt load up as bad in slower sections.

The best thing ive done to my '03.

• Like 2

I recently acquired a 2003 cr 250 and im looking to make it into a woods bike and im looking for advice on making it a 2 stroke woods beast. my last bike was a 4 stroke 250 and it was great for riding in the woods but it just never had that power to pick up the front end up when I would come up on an unexpected log or rock on the trail and then I would go down, before that I had a kx 250 and it was ok in the woods after I put a fly wheel weight in it but it fouled plugs and it wouldn't idle and made it difficult to teach my kid to ride, heres a list of things im going to get for my cr 250, do I need anything else and any advice would be great.

1st thing is a kick stand from trail tech

2nd  a flywheel weight, any advice on the weight I should get?

3rd bark busters

4th gearing! any idea what will make this bike single track friendly?

is there anything else I need? does anyone make something for this bike to carry plugs and wrenches to change plugs?

I ride an 07 CR250 in the woods, have been converting it for the last 4 years... trying different things along the way, and figuring out what worked for me.

1- Negative... you want a Pro Moto Billet stand. The best without question.

2- Steahly flywheel weight. 10oz for normal use, 12oz for extreme but you'll lose some "peppiness". I ditched a 12 for my current 10.

3- Hard to beat Cycra for bark busters, especially with the newer CRM mounting. Huge selection of plastic shields to chose from.

4- Gearing is a preference thing and depends on your particular trails and riding style. I ride SUPER tight stuff and am down to 13/52.  13/50 is a great starting point for average single track.

Here's my additional suggestions.

-Lots of guys are going to yell about getting suspension work done for woods riding. A properly sprung CR250 suspension works fine unless / until you get to be a pro level xc racer.

-My next greatest xc change I have made to my CR is an 18"rear wheel. My tire now absorbs, and folds over terrain that used to bounce and kick my rear tire around... stuff like logs and rocks became way easier.

-Jetting is crucial for woods / single track in my opinion, especially pilot and needle. The bike needs to idle well, and be crisp from the bottom through the mid. I, like many have swapped to a keihin PWK carb, but the Mikuni can be used... it just took way more day to day adjusting to stay dialed for me. I am currently running a 36mm PWK with great results.

-FMF Gnarly into a StealthQ or Turbinecore2 has been my best exhaust combo. The Gnarly is the most damage resisting pipe I have tried, and really does shift the torque curve down nicely.

-Seal your airbox to boot joint!

-Brake pedal leash. Can be home made for a pocket full of change.

-Grab strap, or Animal Handle. I melted a hole in both ends of a section of tough tie down strap, and bolt it on with the seat bolts between the seat brackets and the side panels.

There's lots more that I have done, but the above is what stands out in my mind as the biggest improvements for the $.

Here's a pic of this years version of my woods 07. She's already getting a little beat up lol.

20140610_190044_11_zpseea17a12.jpg

Edited by DanBot
  • Like 4

I'm building mind as a woods bike, so far...

97 cr250

Fresh top and bottem

Gnarly pipe

Shorty

Stock reeds

8oz fww

13/51 gearing

Clickers are pretty much factory, light rear preload

Stock pj carb

On order...

Bark busters

Wish list...

12oz fww

Air striker carb

Vforce reeds

13/53

Skid plate/pipe guard

Crf forks....

931B40BC-75DA-4787-853A-D9BE659CBCF4.jpg

Edited by matty86suk

SUSPENSION AND PROTECTION lol and steel baskets and stuff if you still wanna slow the hit on it after a FWW

Had 13/50, cycra probends, gnarly, boyeson reeds, jd jet kit, gpr stabilizer, and suspension revalve on my 05 and loved it. Just picked up an 03 for my stepson and trying to recreate what i had. I'd really like to try a rekluse on one b/c my 300 has one and i love it. Who knows, maybe i can come back from the pumpkin patch. BTW good radiator guards are essential, or a friend who works in a rad repair shop.   

Had 13/50, cycra probends, gnarly, boyeson reeds, jd jet kit, gpr stabilizer, and suspension revalve on my 05 and loved it. Just picked up an 03 for my stepson and trying to recreate what i had. I'd really like to try a rekluse on one b/c my 300 has one and i love it. Who knows, maybe i can come back from the pumpkin patch. BTW good radiator guards are essential, or a friend who works in a rad repair shop.

brettman: is the Jd jetting kit worth buying? I'm runnin V force 3 reeds w pro Curcuit pipe n scilencer bike won't idle and the idle screw looks stripped out so I was planning on rebuilding the carb

I bought my 02 a few months ago with the mods I needed. I got it for $1900 and I have put about 7 or 8 hours on it with no problems. I run Lucas semi synthetic pre mix at 40:1 and haven't fouled a plug.  Came with stock tank, Clarke  tank installed, 10oz FWW, FMF turbine 2, stock expansion chamber, softer suspension, fork bleeders, Pro Taper bars, Cycra pro bends, PWK with JD jets, exhaust guard, 18" rear wheel, air box sealed, came with Recluse not installed, MSR perch with clutch adjust---end of lever had to be cut to clear the hand guards.  uuum I think that's it. I need to get a skid plate, and rotor guard. Check out my garage.

Edited by Alabama

thanks everybody , I got some riding in today and didn't foul any plugs but I definatly need tires and a kick stand and gearing first. the bike is geared so fast that I never got into 4th gear and barley into 3rd. I never checked the rear sprocket but the front is 13t . the family gave me 300.00 for fathers day so I have few bucks to get started!

Well I'm not sure how much of this is necessary but it's what I did and I'm very happy with the results..

-suspension resprung and revalved

-18" rear wheel with moose rims and exel spline drive spokes oe hubs

-s-12 xc front /rear ultra hd tubes

-minor cylinder porting and case match

-boyesen rad valve with torque spacer

-36mm pwk

-Oversize radiators with braces

-450x seat foam

-pro taper bars cr hi w/ cycra bark bustersImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402882413.253269.jpg

-22mm triple clamps

-Asv levers

-braided stainless brake lines

-ebc rotors and pads

-knarly pipe and turbine core

-bigger stator with 450x headlight

-stealy 12oz flywheel weight

-13-52 gearing w/ xring chain

-steal clutch plates

-Clarke 3.4 gallon tank

-tm designs chain guide/slide

-rc valve mod

-skid plate

-rear rotor guard

-turner billet pegs

-kick stand

Edited by peterd2
  • Like 4

Well I'm not sure how much of this is necessary but it's what I did and I'm very happy with the results..

-36mm pwk

-450x seat foam

-pro taper bars cr hi w/ cycra bark bustersattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402882413.253269.jpg

-22mm triple clamps

-Asv levers

-ebc rotors and pads

-steal clutch plates

-Clarke 3.4 gallon tank

-rc valve mod

-skid plate

-rear rotor guard

-turner billet pegs

-kick stand

Sweet bike

Thanks for the compliments!! I spent a lot of time reading this forum before I started the build and I'm glad I did, a lot of good info in here if you take the time to search for it...

• Like 2

-36mm pwk

-450x seat foam

-pro taper bars cr hi w/ cycra bark bustersattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402882413.253269.jpg

-22mm triple clamps

-Asv levers

-ebc rotors and pads

-steal clutch plates

-Clarke 3.4 gallon tank

-rc valve mod