Sign in to follow this  

Hard to Start 2014 rmz250. Any ideas?

Holy moly this thing is hard to start. I have seen a suggestion of a vortex ecu. I would think a 250 should not be this hard to start.

Does anyone have any tips on how they start theirs involving high idle, hotstart, throttle, etc.? Really need help with cold and hot starts.

I also have this issue with a 2014.... Dealer said it would get easier with break in.... For now i just kick it hard and it will start in 1 or 2 kicks.... Hope we get some suggestions on how to make it easier..

I also have this issue with a 2014.... Dealer said it would get easier with break in.... For now i just kick it hard and it will start in 1 or 2 kicks.... Hope we get some suggestions on how to make it easier..

Not sure what kind of riding you do but have you tried the "trail riding" coupler that came with it? I was wondering if different fuel and ignition setting would make it easier than the stock settings.

Sorry but the only thing I know that will make starting easier is a vortex ecu. In 2013 there was an issue with "kick back". Basically,the motor would kick back and break the clutch basket gear or damage something with the kicker gear. Wasn't a cheap repair. So..they offered a new "2014" ecu for a fix to the kick back for 2013 rmz250 owners that had problems. The issue with the 2014 ecu is suzuki retarded ignition timing until ecu senses motor is actually running. They say it skips spark on the intake stroke,but what it really does is weaken the spark throughout the kick start. The vortex unit doesn't have this setup. It uses new starting procedure but not to the point suzuki went. Suzuki went too far retarded to cover there butts. It sucks to spend $700 but it is a worthwhile investment for this bike. Really wakes the bike up and as you add a pipe or different cams or even a big bore-simple clicks on the vortex and its tuned.

• Like 2

ac717 is right, I think it's the best solution, every thing else will cost and still not fix, vortex for sure.

x2 on the Vortex CPU in my 13.(thanks to ac) I hated it before that. Thought about selling it right away when it was stock. Now ive played with her a bit.

Got mine directly from Vortex from

Casey Bywater

casey@vortexracing.com

Holy moly this thing is hard to start. I have seen a suggestion of a vortex ecu. I would think a 250 should not be this hard to start.

Does anyone have any tips on how they start theirs involving high idle, hotstart, throttle, etc.? Really need help with cold and hot starts.

If you have less than 10 hours on the bike it will be hard to start. Mine is a 12 and the first time I rode it I actually left the track because I was sick of trying to start the stupid thing. After 10 hours (break in) my bike is extremely easy to start actually. It starts in 1 or 2 kicks every time. It has to be at top dead center. Build compression then give it a good kick. Furiously kicking over and over a whole bunch of times will get you nowhere with this bike. Also, you must use the "choke" knob when starting the bike any cooler than fully warmed. When it's hot use the hot start. Gas thats in the line will be evapped by the super hot engine. Things will get better. Also using the correct coupler will help. Use grey if dry and arrid and use the lean map for super humid environment. Clean air filters help too. Your valve train will appreciate that.

I guess  I did everything wrong, we had a humid day in PGH, I had no coupler in, didn't use the choke nob after it sat for 20 mins or so. Even hot start switch seems to do nothing if I just stall in the trail. kick and kick and kick, I am short so its hard to get a firm kick on this I need to find a rock or be on the slanted side to start it. I am in this problem right now. the crank case cracked and there is a mess of problems in there. My issue is I have around 12 hrs on it, but its 1 year old this july, im sure the dealer might tell its to old to deal with and its on me to repair it. super pissed as I love the bike, but really I owned the bike new since july 1013, and they could not even send me a letter stating to come in and get this address, seeing as I financed the bike initially.

My son and I did some testing on his '14. It's basically a brand new bike, barely broke in. He had trouble initially and then we read what the manual said and it basically works.

When cold, pull the choke knob. It almost never starts the first kick but always seems to fire right up on the second.

When warm, find TDC, pull in the hot start, and give it a good kick. About half the time first kick but that second kick seems to do the trick

He races hare scrambles so he practiced starts. With bike warm and in second gear he turns the engine over somewhat slowly a couple of times to be sure he's at TDC. He'll catch TDC with the kickstarter about half way down, let the kickstarter back up. When I raise my hand ... full kick and it fires up

Don't know if that helps but try it. This seems to jive with what the previous poster said.

I guess I did everything wrong, we had a humid day in PGH, I had no coupler in, didn't use the choke nob after it sat for 20 mins or so. Even hot start switch seems to do nothing if I just stall in the trail. kick and kick and kick, I am short so its hard to get a firm kick on this I need to find a rock or be on the slanted side to start it. I am in this problem right now. the crank case cracked and there is a mess of problems in there. My issue is I have around 12 hrs on it, but its 1 year old this july, im sure the dealer might tell its to old to deal with and its on me to repair it. super pissed as I love the bike, but really I owned the bike new since july 1013, and they could not even send me a letter stating to come in and get this address, seeing as I financed the bike initially.

You cracked the crankcase? wtf happened there? Stall the rmz250, it will make you pay-that's for sure. You can't just kick kick kick kick kick kick kick any four stroke. That's not how they work. It's not a kx125. Build compression, top dead center, good kick.

Not sure what kind of riding you do but have you tried the "trail riding" coupler that came with it? I was wondering if different fuel and ignition setting would make it easier than the stock settings.

I have about 8-9 hours on the bike now and find its getting easier to start. Still takes a firm kick, but almost always starts in 1-2 kicks. I tried the grey (rich) coupler out today and it didn't change how the bike starts, but it seems like a smoother power delivery to me, good for trail riding, which is mostly what I do.

Can a 2013 ECU be sent in and updated with 2014 programs?

Give it time my 14 was real bad.Like magic at 10hrs it just changed second kick every time hot or cold be patient.