Brake dragging

At the glen helen national I was watching the consolation race and %90 of the riders were dragging the brake through and inside turn. It was rutted and a little off camber. They still had the back brake on when they hit the gas then slowly let it off like a clutch or something. Is that a technique to build up RPMs or does it help with handling? Didn't get to see the top level dudes from the same turn

A little front brake drag helps keep the front wheel planted. Dragging the rear brake is another way to help modulate the power. Not to mention they get pretty nasty acceleration bumps at the end of the ruts. Rear brake helps with that

• Experts

Dragging the rear brake while entering a corner pulls the front wheel back and to the inside. This allows you to enter the corners faster and still stay in the rut. It works even better when there is no ruts.  I've taught this technique for over 25 years. 

This is one of the many braking techniques found in my Motocross Braking Techniques DVD or Steam: http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-2-motocross-braking-techniques

VO3 #2 Braking Techs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched Gary's video on this and have practiced it over and over at our track. It is awesome to see and feel the difference dragging the rear brake has on the handling and control of the bike through a corner. Try it you wont be disappointed. ? Definitely has helped me in my corner speed in left hand corners for sure.

The bug

Yep, dragging the rear brake is a great trick to help smooth out power delivery and keep the rear wheel from spinning up.

Are you racing at the Ponca City National later this month?