Sign in to follow this  

03 cr125 question

My 2002 cr125 looked like this and my last bike a 2007 rm125 also had this except worse. When I bought both these bikes I immediately took the ignition cover off to reveal standing moisture. If anyone has an explanation as to why this happens I would love to hear it. When I did a bottom end on my CR i had the cases soda blasted and bought all new hardware and a clutch lifter, made it look brand new. As far as it being a problem I really can't say. I cant imagine a corroded or rusted ignition side is very good though  :rolleyes:

My 2002 cr125 looked like this and my last bike a 2007 rm125 also had this except worse. When I bought both these bikes I immediately took the ignition cover off to reveal standing moisture. If anyone has an explanation as to why this happens I would love to hear it. When I did a bottom end on my CR i had the cases soda blasted and bought all new hardware and a clutch lifter, made it look brand new. As far as it being a problem I really can't say. I cant imagine a corroded or rusted ignition side is very good though :rolleyes:

Thanks I've been trying to to take some of the rust off the bottom with some wd40 and a wire brush.I bought this bike about 2 months ago and got 3 rides in before it seized and the more I take apart the more I find things that need to be fix or replaced.

yep I'm in the same boat, I bought my CR blown up a month ago, and as it comes apart I find more and more things to spend money on 

yep I'm in the same boat, I bought my CR blown up a month ago, and as it comes apart I find more and more things to spend money on 

What year is yours? I'm going to have to get a new top bottom and cylinder for mine as of right now

2002 which as far as I know is identical to yours, right now the whole bike is stripped down to the frame I'm just waiting on parts

I'm sure the electrical is ok, and since it is getting a rebuild I wouldn't worry too much about the rust, just polish up the rusted parts, new seals, finish the rebuild and giver er!

2002 which as far as I know is identical to yours, right now the whole bike is stripped down to the frame I'm just waiting on parts

Yea same here everything is off just the frame and wheels or standing.I'm waiting to buy the parts

I have a 2004 cr125. Never had a problem with water getting in. I would clean it with wd40 and replace the gasket.