Sign in to follow this  

03' crf450r clutch/transmission

Hello all, I own a 03' crf450r that I decided to tear into over the winter. I wanted to do the top and bottom ends to get it all fresh as I didn't know how many hours were on it. I did the piston, rings, bearings, crank and rod with o.e. Honda parts. Everything seemed to go fine given this was my first time. So after getting it all together it fired right up and seemed to run great. Once it started to get warmed up the bike started creeping with the clutch in. The clutch worked fine before the rebuild, my cable is relatively new, adjusting it had no affect, and I had 650cc of Honda 10w-40 in it. I took the clutch cover off, the clutch back out and noticed some of my steels are really blue. I replaced the clutch pack with a new Honda one, but this did not solve the issue. I then tore into the clutch further removing the clutch pack again and spun the hub noticing a "spot" where it seemed hang up. I removed the hub nut and noticed the splines for the main shaft are recessed into the hub. Now I'm thinking I might have a thrust washer or shim out of place in the transmission causing the hub to drag on the basket slightly and once it heats up and everything expands, the bike creeps. Anybody else think im on base or is the main shaft supposed to fit like this?Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to give as much detail as I could.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is how it goes together. Check yours against this

03clutch.jpg

Creeping, is normally the result of notches worn Into the clutch hub and/or basket.

Thanks for the replies! I did check my assembly against the microfiche in my manual and I do have everything in the proper order. I looked at the fingers on the basket and my hub, but compared to the pictures I've found, my wear seems minimal. The clutch did work properly before my tear down and my thinking now is I have something out of place in the transmission, or maybe the hub is warped? It works fine cold and shifts through the gears fine, just once it gets warmed up it wants to creep.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha! I have an 03 450r and it does the opposite. It creeps when its cold. New oil didnt fix it. WHATS GOING ON!! Not a huge deal as it smooths out after warm though.

Sorry for not having an answer for ya.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies! I did check my assembly against the microfiche in my manual and I do have everything in the proper order. I looked at the fingers on the basket and my hub, but compared to the pictures I've found, my wear seems minimal. The clutch did work properly before my tear down and my thinking now is I have something out of place in the transmission, or maybe the hub is warped? It works fine cold and shifts through the gears fine, just once it gets warmed up it wants to creep.

Turn #16 over. The sharp ridge on the washer is bitting the basket where the relief is turned into the assembly. It gets warm, swells the area and will drag the hub against the basket. Put the sharp side of the washer toward the hub.

Turn #16 over. The sharp ridge on the washer is bitting the basket where the relief is turned into the assembly. It gets warm, swells the area and will drag the hub against the basket. Put the sharp side of the washer toward the hub.

In my research of the problem I have found some experience creep on cold start up, but it subsides once warm. Maybe that isn't out of the ordinary Ryan?

Thanks for the tip Shawn! I flipped that #16 thrust washer over and It drags far worse that way. I can also see a very pronounced wear mark on that washer. Is that normal?

Picture of my #16 thrust washer( between hub and clutch basket).

Hmm...not, that wear mark is not normal. When its all torqued up, The sleeve for the needle bearing should pull through the basket and butt against that big washer and then the hub ties it all together.

That radius usually fits into the clutch basket area. Check the area of the hub where the hub would pull up against that washer and see if there is any material thats pulled through the center of the washer. Something has changed dimensions so where. The basket should free wheel on #3 when its all sandwiched togther. Or, I should say the hub should freely move. Pull the basket out and make sure there isnt something under neath #3 on the main shaft. The washer didnt get thicker, and its unlikely the basket got thicker. But it drags both ways?

What does the back side of the hub look like? Ya got something funky here.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I did not have a chance to do anything until today. If I have the thrust washer in on way I get a slight amount of drag and a spot where it seems to catch. If I flip the washer the drag is far worse. There is also some wear marking on the back of the hub.

Thanks for the help and again, sorry it took me so long.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What condition are the cushings that go between the gear and the hub in?

Mr moto, are you talking about the cushions between the gear and the basket? If so, that is one thing I have not looked at yet. Can the gear be removed from the basket, or does the whole basket have to be replaced?

I keep going back to how this looks and it doesn't seem right to me. This picture is with the basket, collar, needle bearing, thrust washer and hub pushed all of the way on the main shaft. Should the main shaft protrude far enough out so that the edge of the splines are flush with the hub?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mr moto, are you talking about the cushions between the gear and the basket? If so, that is one thing I have not looked at yet. Can the gear be removed from the basket, or does the whole basket have to be replaced?

They are probably fine but yes those are the one's. I only asked because I thought the gear had already been removed...

The gear can be removed but it requires drilling and removing the pins that attach it to the basket. Then a new bolt set to bolt it back up. As you can see from the fiche above Honda does not sell the parts seperately so checking the cushings.would be the last thing I checked. Those cushings hold up pretty well. The basket usually gets notched out before the cushings go bad.