Sign in to follow this  

No fifth gear.

I just put a new crank in my Ktm and I am riding it today and come to find out I have another neutral (5th gear). Basically it'll shift to 5th but it will not engage or disengage. So I need to know what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. Thanks and details would be great on what caused this

My fork isn't bent either. All my gears also looked really good! Soooo that's not it either. And no material was wedged in there since I just cleaned every part in that case. Idk...

Does it still have the original neutral between first and second?  If not, it's possible that the shift positioning star is installed incorrectly on the shift drum.  If so, the shift ratchet may not be moving the drum far enough to fully engage 5th.  Are you sure the counter-shaft shift forks were installed in the right order?

• Like 1

Yes they were installed correctly and yes I have a neutral

I ran through all the gears by hand while the case was open.

Only one way to know for sure... Let us know what it was.

By the time this guy gets his bike running without problems he'll have torn down the motor more times then a professional racer.

I feel your pain, I tore down a KX 250 motor 5 times before I figured out the spacer was on the wrong shift rail. :facepalm:

Keep at it you'll get it sooner or later just make sure when you take it apart again to lay out all the parts in the order you take them off and pay real close attention to which direction they came off. Take your time and look at things very closely, taking pictures for use as reference later doesn't hurt either.

• Like 1

By the time this guy gets his bike running without problems he'll have torn down the motor more times then a professional racer.

I feel your pain, I tore down a KX 250 motor 5 times before I figured out the spacer was on the wrong shift rail. :facepalm:

Keep at it you'll get it sooner or later just make sure when you take it apart again to lay out all the parts in the order you take them off and pay real close attention to which direction they came off. Take your time and look at things very closely, taking pictures for use as reference later doesn't hurt either.

yeah but he'll never make the same mistake again!
  • Like 1

If there isn't anything wrong with the shift mechanism, you'll have to split it again and make sure everything is where it should be in the transmission.  The on-line parts fiches on Rocky Mountain or Cheap Cycle Parts are useful for this.  It's possible that the washer between 1st and 5th gear on the countershaft is missing or 5th gear could be reversed on the shaft.

I leave for Louisiana soon from texas and have run out of time. So it's going to be stored at my dad's house ac barn. Can it just be broke in the way it is? Won't hurt anything?

Who knows until you know whats wrong, if something isn't in place correctly and falls out it could get jammed between gears and or the case and break stuff. Or if it's just assmebled incorrectly but nothing falls out you could probably ride it like that forever. But honestly why break it in now? Just store it until you can fix it. 

My guess is that, if it's not making any grinding noises or other bad sounds, it's probably not going to hurt anything to run it as is.  In the old days, racing bikes with missing gears was fairly common.  But, as Squid says, who knows?