Sign in to follow this  

13 500 xcw radiator fan not working?

Recently bought a used 13 500xcw with fmf ktm powerparts  exhaust. I have not heard the fan running once since I have been riding it yet in about 150 miles. My other friend who had stock exhaust 14 500xcw is on every time we come to stop. Checked and replaced fuse, coolant level is fine, and no recall of fluid ever overflowing. Is this normal or should I check thermostat also. The riding I have done so far was a combination of tight and twisty, slow and highway. Is there a way I can tell if themo does not work. Also considering  trail tech fan kit. Is existing exhaust that much cooler?

Can you give me just a bit more detail on how you would jump it. Not most electrical savvy. I did add all electronics to make it street legal though. Thanks for your comments.

Sounds like time to replace fluid and try new thermostat. It has under 1000 miles.  Thanks again for your replies.

The fan will generally only come on when the bike is ridden hard in slow conditions. Speeds of 20mph or more will have enough air flowing through the radiators to keep the coolant below the switching temp. 

Just pull back the insulators over the connector to the thermo switch on the radiator and bridge with any conductive metal (wire, pliers, screwdriver, etc) If the fan comes on, then there might be an issue with the thermo switch. If it doesn't come on, the fuse may be blown or there is an issue with the wiring. 

If you haven't been running slow technical extended climbs through mud and gnar, you just might not have been heating the coolant enough. Have you had radiator burping? There isn't a way to test the switch installed in the radiator without heating the coolant to the activation temperature. You can idle the bike in the driveway ( or garage with the door open), with occasional increasing of revs. Having a laser thermometer handy to measure radiator temperature so as not to do any damage due to over heating would be advisable.  

I tried the pliers with insulators off and it did not start or turn on. Must be my wiring.

What kind of riding are you doing? 

Mine only comes on when I am on tech single track.. And even then its not all that much. 

I tried the pliers with insulators off and it did not start or turn on. Must be my wiring.

re check the fuse with a multimeter. Sometimes they don't look blown but are. also check the connections all the way back to the battery.

I replaced the fuse earlier today to be safe. It did look ok though. Checking the connections all the way back is next. Try some more slow and technical tomorrow.

So far I haven't done the type of riding where its super slow and not much air flowing. I have ridden it in slow and hot conditions where we were constantly turning and even stalled it a few time. It has not even come on once yet and the others who have similar but newer bikes were coming on almost constantly. That's why I was wondering if my fmf freed up the flow enough that  it hasn't come on yet. Checked all the connectors and seems to be fine. If I find out more I will let you know. It should come on at least once I should think.

Thanks again for your Reponses.

Another thing to check is that the fan actually works. Run power and ground directly to the fan's last connection. Also check the ground wire. 

I did go into the tight woods and because of high winds we encountered a lot of windfall on trail. After about the sixth log which I was spinning over I heard the fan finally kick on and stay on for a couple of minutes. This was towards the end of the ride and I had given up until then that it didn't work at all. It must be doing its job and takes a lot to get it heated up. I also tweaked the suspension some more and have to say I really like the bike. Just need to work out more because my 150lbs and age of 54 don't make it easy to pick up bike. I will be putting on some bark busters to replace stock hand guards for the technical rides. Great bike and thanks all who tried to help with my radiator questions.

I just got back from a trip in the Mammoth Lakes area Rode over 300 Miles in , in 8k-10k elevations. The fan only came on once during the entire trip on a long rocky stretch. As long a you have air flow, your fan will not come on. When they do, go faster and get the air flow going and it will shut off.

I found this blog when I googled to find info to help me trouble-shoot figuring out why my fan stopped working on my 2013 KTM 450 XC-W, and got some good info and then did some work, based on the posts, and then decided to finally become a member so that I can start blogging, especially now that I am at a bit of a stand-still with my diagnostics.

I did what was suggested and crossed the leads to the thermo and no fan on. I looked at the fuse in the line under the tank and it was good then tried it with a new one anyway, and no fan. The fuse under the seat looked good but tried a new one anyway, no fan. Followed all the wiring and so far do not see any flaws, so i ran leads from my battery to the connector that I opened in the wiring under the seat, and the fan did come on. I touched the positive to one of the leads to the thermo and got sparks (assumingly positive to positive) but not when I touched the other (assumingly because it's the dead wire to the fan). Should the fan have come on when I touched that one, since it should have sent power to the fan? My basic understanding tells me that it should have, and if so, then it further tells me that perhaps there is a bad ground somewhere or that lead to the thermo that I ASSUME leads to the fan, is faulty. Does this scenario give any insight?

Thanks to anyone out there, who can perhaps help me figure this out......I am a bit experienced with bike mechanics but probably below average really, and certainly not electrical.

On the XC-W, the motor needs to be running when you short out the thermo switch. I have wiring diagrams if anyone needs them.

Edited by L. Euler

Ok I wondered about that but figured that since it comes on when I stop and turn off sometimes, that it would not be necessary to start it. Will try that tomorrow when I can start her and not wake the neighbours! Thanks for the reply....could be very helpful.

Just bump the start button then it will come on. The ecu turns on when you hit the started and shuts off about 30 sec after you stop the motor. Fan only runs when the ecu is powered up.

Edited by slotracer577

Ok, that makes sense. Just went and did that and tried shorting the 2 leads on the sensor with the wires connected in every which way imaginable and the fan does not come on, with the ecu on. SInce I already tested the fan directly from the battery and it works, but does not work when I bridge the sensor wires, I guess this means I have a wiring issue. probably need to take her to the shop at this point since I have followed all the wires back to where they join a nest of wires, and cannot see any issues......I think this is beyond me.....sad thing is I have a race in a few days and no KTM shops around......damn.......may have to direct wire the thing on for the race or something.......it's gonna be slow and tight and I WILL lose all my coolant and overheat otherwise