Sign in to follow this  

1974 Honda CL125S oil leak

Hello,

I have a 1974 Honda CL125S scrambler that was purchased new by my uncle. It has about 8400 miles on it.  Last summer I put new front and rear tires on it, but have not done much else to it.  I've been riding it for the last couple of years and I really like it!

However, last summer it developed an oil leak where the base of the cylinder meets the engine block.  It still runs good, but my leg gets oily! It has been getting progressively worse.

How big of a job is it to replace that gasket?  I recently replaced the intake manifold and head gaskets on my car, so I'm comfortable doing automotive engine work, but have never worked on a motorcycle engine.

From reading other posts, I think this is the manual I would need:  http://www.themotorbookstore.com/10ohc19.html

But it doesn't explicitly list the CL125S.  Is that a good manual or does anyone have a better suggestion?

If I do end up taking it apart, does anyone have a suggestion as to what else I should replace as long as I have it apart?  I've been searching and it appears that parts are still fairly available for this model of bike.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a newbie, so any advice would be appreciated!

Matt

Not that difficult. Basic socket set/wrench set. With that many miles I do suggest a simple bore job and new piston and valves and valvejob. Check cam and rockers for wear. Valves are cheap as are pistons. If you want a little more bang for the buck get the 3mm oversize kit. Bores in stock liner. 15% gain in cc for a little more torque. If you want more power just ask me, I can direct you to simple cheap set-ups that work well and run pumpgas and are reliable

That will be enough BUT very hard to install valvesprings on these.  If you want I could do a simple 3 angle valvejob and assemble head for you for next to nothing. Then you just need to bolt on. You will need to take piston to a motorcycle machine shop for bore job. Don't trust a auto shop to do it right.

Great.  I just ordered the book.  Can I contact you off-list to get pricing on the valve-job?

Matt

Pm teamrude to reach him

He is a great source for your bike, does great work and really knows those bikes and engines well.