Sign in to follow this  

Gas tank coloring methods

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402859407.424680.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402859421.508354.jpgare there any ways to paint or coloring methods that would hold up? I want a black tank but can't find one for my bike any where. Do you guys know of any ways or methods for coloring? I had black plasti dip but my dad spilled gas on i and it jus basically pulled off, so I need something that would hold up and last a long time so I don't have to keep re coloring it

Rattle can specified for plastic, but will still come off with gas.

will the tank still be able to breath? & what brand makes that type of paint?

How effective is the rit dye on the tanks? I seen post before on this but can't find none on how it ended up a few rides in or maybe a couple months after dying it

Tried the Rit Dye method on an old white tank to turn it black. Came out purple, even following the instructions to the letter. Pretty messy too. Ended up throwing that tank out in the trash. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 1

Tried the Rit Dye method on an old white tank to turn it black. Came out purple, even following the instructions to the letter. Pretty messy too. Ended up throwing that tank out in the trash. Wouldn't recommend it.

thanks for the tip, think I might just put my graphics on and mask them off and re-plasti dip the tank again.. Just going to be carefully pouring gas

Wow that's new to me Cheers

Plastic tanks are porous , why it's better to store fuel in metal tanks and i keep mine in my cellar to keep it around 65 degrees until ready to use. 

• Like 1

BEDLINER. Nuff said

Just had a buddy roll his whole land rover in that stuff ,  :lol: said he was tired of washing it. Don't look bad really . 

• Like 2

Plastic tanks are porous , why it's better to store fuel in metal tanks and i keep mine in my cellar to keep it around 65 degrees until ready to use. 

I take it to extremes, after every ride, remove tank, empty, wash out with warm soap and water and remount.

Love that fuzzy all clean feeling inside and gives me piece of mind my fuel system is clean. :lol::devil:

• Like 1

thanks for the tip, think I might just put my graphics on and mask them off and re-plasti dip the tank again.. Just going to be carefully pouring gas

just plastic dip often either way, always looks new! :thumbsup::devil:

I take it to extremes, after every ride, remove tank, empty, wash out with warm soap and water and remount.

Love that fuzzy all clean feeling inside and gives me piece of mind my fuel system is clean.  :lol::devil:

Nothing wrong with going above and beyond to ensure your bike will be tip top next time out.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1