Sign in to follow this  

Rattle my 13 honda developed a rattle

My honda was a little noisey so I decider to have a look thro it took the top end off and everything seemed fine crank valves and piston cam & chain so put it back together and now it's even worse it did stop for about 30 seconds and started to hiss like a pipe had burst but reved it and it started to rattle again it's easy to start and all the power is there it just sounds loud

It's impossible to diagnose a sound over the internet, but rattles/knocks/grinding etc. coming from an engine are never good. STOP running the engine, you're only going to make things worse.

First thing I would check is the timing chain and tensioner. Make sure it has oil pressure. Make sure a valve spring didn't break.

• Like 4

Doood just pin it. Teach that bike a lesson! Probably just needs to hit the rev limiter a few times to knock it back into time.

• Like 1

Are you sure the headpipe is sealed on the cylinder fully? That could be the issue and checking would save a lot of unnecessary effort.

Good point. I found out there is a definite procedure in installing/tightening a four stroke exhaust.

Cheers for the replies it has turned out to be the main bearings in the end just glad I can get on with it now and then ride ;-)

How many hours on it? Was it making metal?

If the rattle sounds like a slapping noise when idling then If I was you I'd purchase a manual cam chain tensioner from the TT store preferably or from wherever and install that before you have a much bigger problem.

It's done 36 hours was Steve Ramon's practice bike brought it off my brother who was his spanner man at the time with 20 hours on it and just been rebuilt