Sign in to follow this  

2006 RM125 for Wife

So I just bought a new 14 YZ250 for myself and was going to set up my RM125 for the wife,

Its currently at a buddies house getting the transmission rebuilt. I've already shaved the seat down so for her but its still a little tall. I was wondering if I should change the springs in the forks and shock to make it smoother for her, I found the suspension a little stiff for trail riding. 

I also have new tires for the bike and I wanted to know the best way to set this bike up to be easiest to ride for her. I was tempted to trade it for a TTr230 but I'd like to keep the stroke seeming i'm already mixing gas and i've spent a bit a money into this bike and its like family to me now.

My wife rode an 03 rm 125 for a while. We had the suspension valved and sprung for her weight and skill, had it lowered and put a flywheel wieght on it. She liked it set up like that quite a bit.

She is 5'6" and about 125 lbs.

• Like 2

i've heard a few people adding fly weight? what exactly does it do

It increases the rotating mass, which helps the bike resist stalling on the trails, and lessens how rapidly it spools up which essentially lessens the abruptness of the hit. This helps with traction in slippery conditions making it easier to hook up and put power to the ground. RM's have notoriously light flywheels stock compared to other MX'rs so they really help in mx but especially in offroad riding. 

You can read more here;

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/FAQ

• Like 1

Awesome, I might even look into a Rekluse kit but it don't seem there are any for the RM125. 

I know they only make the EXP for my RM 250, not the core or zstart. So far from my experience on other peoples bikes, they aren't really my cup of tea. Mostly for philosophical reasons, but your wife may like one as, in general, they make the bike easier to ride. 

No Rekluse for the RM125, only 250. The Rekluse is amazing, my buddy has the core on his CR250 and that bike is fast, hes beating 450's at times, Its so good i'll be adding the EXP 3 kit to my YZ250.

I'm going to see how she likes the 125 if shes finds it big, I found a TTR-125L for sale, it has a kickstand and electric start so that would be great for the wife but It means i'd have to sell the RM and I kinda what keep it. and I'd like for both of us to have 2 stroke, when we go camping thats only one container of gas to carry.

I just got to figure out how to lower the bike as much as i can.

No Rekluse for the RM125, only 250. The Rekluse is amazing, my buddy has the core on his CR250 and that bike is fast, hes beating 450's at times, Its so good i'll be adding the EXP 3 kit to my YZ250.

I'm going to see how she likes the 125 if shes finds it big, I found a TTR-125L for sale, it has a kickstand and electric start so that would be great for the wife but It means i'd have to sell the RM and I kinda what keep it. and I'd like for both of us to have 2 stroke, when we go camping thats only one container of gas to carry.

I just got to figure out how to lower the bike as much as i can.

So, how much riding experience does she have? How athletic/aggressive is she?

My wife started on a TTR-125L and it was a great bike for her to learn on. Not intimidating and super easy to ride. BUT, she out grew it in about 5 rides. Sure she could have stayed on it all season, but she was bottoming the suspension and trying to climb hills that the bike just didn't have the balls for. She bumped to a KX 100, and she loved that bike, but at 5'6" she was just a little too tall really. She road the KX for about a season at which point we bumped her to the 03 RM 125. 

She is currently on a KTM 200 EXC. 

How tall is your wife? 

Shes about 5'3 and i'm about 5'7 and can touch the ground with no issues at all. Shes use to powersports, had a Ninja 250 since 2011 which needs upgrading to maybe a CB500 and shes ridden snowmobiles lots. 

Shes rode the RM125 once and found it "slippery" as she calls it, but the suspension is really stiff, once its softer it should ride better.

Shes about 5'3 and i'm about 5'7 and can touch the ground with no issues at all. Shes use to powersports, had a Ninja 250 since 2011 which needs upgrading to maybe a CB500 and shes ridden snowmobiles lots. 

Shes rode the RM125 once and found it "slippery" as she calls it, but the suspension is really stiff, once its softer it should ride better.

Yea, shave that seat, have a good suspension tuner set it up for her weight and skill and lower it, put a flywheel wight on it, run it a little rich or adjust powervalve/timing and maybe do the auto clutch and she'll be well sorted. A 144 kit with proper porting and head work makes these things run however you want... I just road a buddies YZ 144 and it was awesome.

I love seeing ladies ride. My wife rides dirt and street (CB 450) and mountain bikes... riding can be a bit of a sausage fest sometimes. It's cool to see the girls get into the sport.  

Edited by Kenpo1