Sign in to follow this  

E slant FCR setup

Been out for first ride with new set up, but got a few issues.

I have the following 2005 sm standard Engine. pair valve removed, 3x3 hole in air box, k&n oiled filter, E model air boot to carb, E exhaust header with FMF mid pipe and end can (not sure which FMF but probably old one). Carb has r/d adj screw.based in UK

NCYR needle 2nd notch down

155 main jet

42 pilot jet

65 starter jet

1-1/2 turns out on mixture

60 pilot air jet

200 main air jet

Bike starts and runs fine, but when doing 30 ish in top Gear and just feathering the throttle it seems to be stuttering almost like it's been starved of fuel. If I slowly increase the revs it goes or if I wack it open it pulls away great. Also it has just cut out on me 3 times in 20 plus miles.

Coast to a stop as it won't bump slip into neutral and hit the button fires straight up.

Any ideas on what to look for.

I have a DRZ400s with very similar mods & FCR39 slant (Sudco).

EMM # 3

160 mj

45 pj

2 turns out

100 paj

200 maj

0 - elevation

My carb does'nt have a coast enricher or tps or r/d adj screw but hope this helps you out some.

Edited by billdirt1

I have a DRZ400s with very similar mods & FCR39 slant (Sudco).

100 paj

I'm surprised your's didn't have the adjustable PAJ, did you remove it?

Open Yosh exhaust, Generally I'm 400-1000ft in elevation and ended up with:

EMM Needle Clip 4 (maybe it was 3? I went back and forth now don't remember)

150 Main Jet

38 Pilot Jet

1/2 turn on Pilot Air Jet (Got rid of the decel popping)

200 Main air jet.

I made even more power on 148 MJ, so it may still be a hair rich, but I'd rather be a bit on the rich side than the lean side (and I didn't order anything smaller than the 148 MJ). The PJ is still definitely a bit rich.

It's probably worth noting my air box has a bit more than a 3x3 though...

fcr21.jpg

fcr22.jpg

Edited by OhioYJ

I'm surprised your's didn't have the adjustable PAJ, did you remove it?

Open Yosh exhaust, Generally I'm 400-1000ft in elevation and ended up with:

EMM Needle Clip 4 (maybe it was 3? I went back and forth now don't remember)

150 Main Jet

38 Pilot Jet

1/2 turn on Pilot Air Jet (Got rid of the decel popping)

200 Main air jet.

I made even more power on 148 MJ, so it may still be a hair rich, but I'd rather be a bit on the rich side than the lean side (and I didn't order anything smaller than the 148 MJ). The PJ is still definitely a bit rich.

It's probably worth noting my air box has a bit more than a 3x3 though...

fcr21.jpg

fcr22.jpg

Definatley got swiss cheese going on there.  I thought OP meant adj fual screw.  Yes I have 100 paj in it, 1 turn out. 

Its that NCY needle, thought it would be a great idea to try one out (NCY-T), I just got rid of it and went to and EMM 3rd clip from top (EMN recommended) and all is well with the world, part throttle hesitation gone and the throttle response is still awesome, my bike carburates near perfectly, may be a touch rich up top, my bike has got the same carb

• Like 1

How do I know if the pilot air jet is adjustable.

The adjustable one is almost like a fuel screw, instead of just being a "jet" it has a point, a spring, etc, on it.

I've recently gone to the NCYR needle instead of the EMN due to excessively rich mixture at lower throttle positions. So far I'm finding it a much more rideable needle with smoother transition on and off the pilot circuit, further testing will be required to see how the fuel milage is effected.

Onto the help:

Does the UK FCR have the Coast Enricher? If so is it removed and how did you do the removal? I'm guess by your PAJ size and the fact that it idles that you have the two ports connected.

Cuising at 30 MPH in top gear really isn't something which works well on a stock-geared S model, or even on the E model gearing. These bikes have the be turning more RPM then that. Even with perfect jetting you will get a rather severe lug at that loading/RPM.

As for the cutting out: that sounds like fuel starvation to me. Did you check the float height when it was apart? Tank venting correctly?

-Grant

• Like 1

Coast enricher has been removed and the hose used to connect the 2 nipples. The air jet is what came in the carb and no it's not adjustable, just standard jet.

I did not check float height as it came of a running bike( my bad ).

Not sure about tank vent will have to look further into that.