Sign in to follow this  

Fast bike for a 14 yr old

Hey there,

I have a crf 100 f , which is really slow , so i looked into a 150R. The problem is that you have to do the motor every 100 hours. Im kinda sick of Hondas , cause their pretty slow unless you go to the R's. My dad doesn't want me to have a 2 stroke cause he thinks their unreliable. So what do you guys think. I want something thats fairly fast , cc wise under 250. And last of all , has to be fairly reliable. I wouldn't mind if the engine went 1 or 2 in its life time.

Any input would be appreciated.

P.S: wouldnt be new for my he dealer , so it can't be older

A 125 is what you want, they need to be rebuilt more often, but it can be done in your garage in a matter of hours. The only way any bike is going to be "unreliable" is if you don't do the maintenance. It's a mechanical machine, mechanical things break, and can be fixed. Or a 250f but it's more work to upkeep.

• Like 3

U sure ?

Does any other company besides Honda make something like a 150R ?

Something like that would be nice , but my dad wants it to be maintenance free. Any 4 stroke 200's that would keep up to a 150R?

Thx for the replies

I guess your right. Nobody makes something like a 150R ?

A 125 2 stroke is like it but , nobody makes a 4 stroke? Thx for the replies , i think ill just get a 230 , or a 200 4 stroke of some kind.

230's suck. They're the same as what you have but taller and heavier. You don't want one.

Here's a scale of maintainence, from easiest and cheapest to highest. 

slow trail bikes (like what you have now, or a 230) - KDX's - 2 stroke MX bikes (ex: yz125) - 450 woods bikes (ex: cr450x) - 250 woods bikes (250x) - 450 mx bikes - 250f's - 150r's.

You might be able to get away without maintaining a 4 stroke race bike for longer then you can on a 2 stroke but when you do eventually it is going to blow up and cost you $3000. They need to be rebuild often and done right with good parts along with valve adjustments and very frequent oil changes. You also have to watch how you ride them as a lot of it can be the rider as well.

A 230 is an overweight pig with awful suspension that your girlfriend would be bored with (if she was even strong enough to hold the heavy thing up). It's the same as what you have now in terms of power basically and reliability. So either stick in the same class of bikes that you have or go with a 125. Nobody but Honda makes a 150r, they're made to compete against 85 cc 2 strokes which is what everyone else uses for their minibike. You don't want one, I can tell from your posts right now that you are not prepared for the upkeep of a 4 stroke race bike.

A 2 stroke will need a piston every summer but in the long run, it's a lot cheaper and quite easy to do yourself. If you change everything on time and don't hold it wide open, it will in theory never blow up. I've had nothing but luck with any 2 stroke but mind you they were always looked after. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies , im going to show this to my dad, try to swing him over to the 2 stroke club

I can put a new piston in a YZ 125 in under 20min. That being said, you don't sound nearly fast or hard enough on equipment to need much maintenance other then maybe a piston or 2 a year. No small bore, high performance 4t will require less maintenance then a 125 AND be cheaper....

• Like 4

Oh, well i think its a toss up between a yz125, or a other 2 stroke. Ill keep researching , thanks for the replies, ill look into a cr or something else.

When it finally comes down to buying the bike, their all pretty equal as they all have their strong and weak points. Just look at buying the cleanest (and hopefully cheapest) one you can find...

Every reply here is right on the money. 125s are about as trouble - free as it gets, much easier and cheaper to own than the CRF150R WHICH is a great bike but expensive to repair. Hopefully your dad will listen to several extremely experienced rider/mechanics here and change his mind.

No, i dont like the orange bikes. I like the 200 xcw, but some people hate Ktm's , and some love them. Ill just stay away from them. Ill stick with Yamaha.