Sign in to follow this  

Can this be repaired? Header cracked by spring attachment

2nd brazing. It's super thin mild steel. It broke in the first place due to the heat effect of welding.

• Like 2

It can be fixed as noted by the first 2 replies, but it won't last forever. Start saving your $$$ for a new pipe.

• Like 1

Vibration and stress fatigue where the spring is pulling on it. Stock KTM pipes have been known to be made super light and as a result are pretty fragile. Most people who ride them in the woods mash them and have to replace in the first year anyway, so if that's the OEM chamber, it's lasted longer than most. As others have said, braze it and start getting $$ together for a new one.

• Like 2

thank you all for the replies, i will be getting it brazed.  

Now if only I could find a wide pair of motocross boots....  :rant:

http://shanewatts.com/store-3/#!/~/product/category=7194241&id=30667665

Amazing quality and very good fit and feel for us guys with wide feet. They fit like Gaerne's, but are much lighter. Great price through Shane Watts too! Almost $150 off. I'm buying another pair this week on payday while he is still selling them!  :thumbsup:

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

My 13 250Sx pulled out like that too.  I brazed it, but then the pipe cracked along the seam weld.  It's now a spare.

My 14 Sx has an aftermarket pipe and has been fine.

• Like 1

http://shanewatts.com/store-3/#!/~/product/category=7194241&id=30667665

Amazing quality and very good fit and feel for us guys with wide feet. They fit like Gaerne's, but are much lighter. Great price through Shane Watts too! Almost $150 off. I'm buying another pair this week on payday while he is still selling them!  :thumbsup:

Just ordered them! Not sure how they could sell for that much under retail. :) I like the look of the gaerne's too but over $400 seems like a lot for boots. Hopefully my wide feet will be comfortable with the TCX Pro 2.1 

Just ordered them! Not sure how they could sell for that much under retail. :) I like the look of the gaerne's too but over $400 seems like a lot for boots. Hopefully my wide feet will be comfortable with the TCX Pro 2.1 

Good decision... I have wide feet as well and had a pair of Gaerne's before and they felt really good but were heavy and expensive. I had a pair of the original TCX Pro's and then after trying about every brand on the market I got a pair of 2.1's a few months ago and could not for the life of me figure out why I didn't buy another pair when those got holes in the originals from using them so long. 

• Like 1

I guess I owe you guys an update. My friend did a good job welding it. Shoutout to shame watts dirt wise for the good not price.

1403919643074.jpg

1403919674762.jpg

Edited by Motomike1
  • Like 1

I guess I owe you guys an update. My friend did a good job welding it. Shoutout to shame watts dirt wise for the good not price.

Good job, just keep an eye on it.

Weld job looks good. I need to get my buddy to do the same to mine. Mines not quite as bad as yours was but I want to get it welded before its much worse.

Weld looks good! How do the boots fit? 

Weld looks good! How do the boots fit?

the boots fit pretty good, very true to size. Not 100% sure the pipe is on correctly. It's there something that needs to be done when installing? I lined it up, put the springs on, connected the screws...? Doesn't sound quite right.

Some sort of gasket you may have forgotten? Its pretty hard to misalign a 2 stroke pipe. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with the KTMs. 

Doesn't sound quite right.

How long did you ride with the crack? Might not have an issue at all.