Sign in to follow this  

desert tire- limped back 60k looking today

I blew a tube put on some rough stone hard pack today. I was 60km from my truck in Mexico, no help close by as it was in middle of mountains. Well I will hand it to hard side walls of maxxis IT, they got me back without coming completely off bead. Long story short, need to get some new rubber. I wasn't happy with the traction of those tires. I am also running the ultra duty tubes. I placing order today for a tire kit with co2 in case it happens again. I was looking at Bridgestone m78 any other suggestions, running YZ450F. 

• Like 1

I blew a tube put on some rough stone hard pack today. I was 60km from my truck in Mexico, no help close by as it was in middle of mountains. Well I will hand it to hard side walls of maxxis IT, they got me back without coming completely off bead. Long story short, need to get some new rubber. I wasn't happy with the traction of those tires. I am also running the ultra duty tubes. I placing order today for a tire kit with co2 in case it happens again. I was looking at Bridgestone m78 any other suggestions, running YZ450F. 

Sorry that was ED78 tire

I'm riding alone in the mountains and 1 of the things I carry are long, hd cable ties. It's an old trick from the few times I raced in SoCal and Baja. The cable ties will help keep a flat tire on the rim.

The ED78 has a good rep, give some feedback if you try it. Just read a long discussion on tires for extreme enduro racing, Golden Tire and Mitas ? were fav's, but for more wet conditions. The Metzeler 6 Days tire was consistently 3rd and I remember that tire being very tough and hooking up well everywhere.

I think the Michelin RC desert tires are pretty popular too.

good luck

Edited by NCSteve

Cable ties, patch kit, CO2, and sometimes spare front tube. I ride solo and remote also.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your input. Let me look at mitas and golden tire. I want to keep price not too expensive. Say 130max per tire