Sign in to follow this  

Making a Practice Track

Hey guys, this summer I plan on making a small supercross-ish style pit bike track. Could you tell me what kind of dirt would be best? And maybe throw me some numbers price wise?

Hey guys, this summer I plan on making a small supercross-ish style pit bike track. Could you tell me what kind of dirt would be best? And maybe throw me some numbers price wise?

Cant help you with the price of dirt. But can I suggest using the same dirt as the track you are practicing for in your practice track.

Chuck in some rollers and whoops straight into corners. That stuff gives you a workout / arm pump.

Thanks man! What would be the best method of shaping & forming the obstacles? Could I do it by hand? Or is a bob cat a necessity

Thanks man! What would be the best method of shaping & forming the obstacles? Could I do it by hand? Or is a bob cat a necessity

If I were you, and you had the budget and access to a bobcat I'd use one for sure. I can post a vid of a track in my mates back yard (his parents house) that was made by hand.... when his own block gets approved we're going to make one with a bob cat for sure.

Its going to have trail sections, whoops, rollers and enduro cross stuff in it.

I made a small one in my back yard with a couple jumps and whoops. You could do it by hand but I couldn't imagine how hard that'd be

Either! Im just looking for any ideas at all

I havent got a vid that just shows the track itself, just my buddies riding on it.

First is a low rut/berm going into a jump (0:32) , next is a tallish berm (dont see it till later in the vid 5:33) another berm that narrows down into wooded single track (0:51).

Then a rut corner that rails awesome (1:14), and the rollers around 1:25 (these are things I need practice on), into another berm (2:45), a straight around the horse yard back into the first corner.

Around here equipment operators get $75 and up per hour. Fill dirt may be cheap or free, but it will be dumped and then you have to move it.

When I was a kid my dad was the track foreman at the local club. They had a grader for the flat track and TT track, but did most of the MX track with a tractor and blades. I'd rather have a tractor with a front bucket and back blade. Maybe you can find someone local to carve the basics and then add some fill. 

I've got an F350, 4x4 dump truck, will haul 2-3 tons anywhere. That would be enough to fill a big turn or short straight or to build some woops or a jump.

enjoy!

• Like 1

I was thinking about using a tiller to chew up the ground and make it soft, then wheelbarrowing the dirt over to the places I want jumps, then forming them with a shovel? Is that doable or way easier said then done

The kind that comes from mother Earth?  Anyways, you should check out Craigslist to see if people are getting rid of their dirt for free....... not sure if there's Craigslist in Nova Scotia though.  BTW, where or what the heck is Nova Scotia? 

Nova Scotia is Canada's warmest province. It's the little funny shaped place on the far east side of the country. And we have Kijiji. Same thing

And there's different types of dirt Honda power. (topsoil, fill, etc)

I think someone else mentioned "fill" which is a type of dirt that will have rocks in it, if you want a better grade try for "clean fill"

I'd go for a bobcat if you can, grab it for a weekend and go to town, have the track outlined and a design ready

Sorry for all the questions.. I'm a real newbie, but do I need like a trailer of some sort to get the bobcat to my place

Iv never done this, my dad would be really mad cause i rip his lawn up enough

Edited by joeyschmo101