Sign in to follow this  

Is there a starting drill for the 150F?

Ok, my niece neglected her 150F by doing no maintenance on it for 4-5 years and leaving it outside, funky gas, etc. Her husband can do some work on it but did none. Whatever.

So, my brother and I went through it completely. Cleaned/oiled air filter, new plug, drained old gas, new carb (float needle was fused), new petcock (leaking & filter was 2/3 gone), oil, etc. Runs great now.

However, it takes probably 10 kicks to start it. Hot garage, so sometimes one position choke, sometimes none.

On my 500's there's a routine so I'm just wondering if there is on the 150F?

Thank you.

Edited by HRC27

Run 2 oz of "Sea Foam" (wall Mart) in each tank of fuel until can is empty then adjust valves. ( you have a factory shop manual correct?)

You have carbon build up and stuck rings ( lower compression than normal)

Change engine oil, replace spark plug

Always use "Stabil" (Wall Mart) in each tank of gas from now on so this problem never reoccurs again !

What year is bike?

Edited by adnohguy

Adjust the valves. A single tight valve will lower the compression enough to make the bike hard to start. If a bike sits for a long period of time and the valves are open they will develop a bit of corrosion on the face and seat. This can be enough to make it hard to start as the valves will leak compression.

Start by adjusting them correctly.

If there is carbon build up on the valves, even if you adjust them first, chances are once the " Sea Foam" removes the carbon, they may need another adjustment, again, because the valves will tighten up the adjustment (slightly) after the carbon is gone.

If it was me, I personally agree, I would adjust first and then later.

I just don't know if the new owner is handy with doing that kind of work ?

If you paid some one to adjust them twice, it just cost more twice than one time after carbon removal.

So either way will work.

• Like 1

Ok, will remove the carbon and adjust the valves. No worries about checking them before and after as I've been working on bikes for 30 years. So, I'll do it for her and I told her when we started she needed a service manual and she bought one.

BTW, it's a 2003.

Thank you very much guys.