Sign in to follow this  

Hinson BTL

One addition I just made to the 13 was a Hinson BTL clutch.

Its been on the shelf for over a year, and was reluctant to put it in until the OEM clutch needed servicing. But since the cases were apart for the transmission service I decided it was time. It was pretty amazing to see the original clutch basket, inner hub, and pressure plate, still in 100% condition.

The motor has 60hrs of pro motos, and a few practice days in between.  

The BTL package went in with the OEM basket since the basket was still like new.

If I can corner my kid later I'll try and post some impressions. 

Unbelievable, my '14 clutch basket already shows signs of wear after 12hrs. I can already feel the beginning of grooves.

According to my son he says the suspension is much freer to do its job with the BTL. 

The bike no longer squats at the back into rough, choppy  corners, and the fork isn't loaded as you back off the throttle.

He says the bike overall is much more stable. And less tiring to ride.

He said The bike will no longer jump start, which I didn't get so I took it for a ride.

I found when you back off the throttle its  complete free wheel and coasting.

0 compression braking. I wasn't expecting that, and didn't like it, but my style has always been to use the engine as a brake.

That goes back to my road racing days.

He likes it. But his back ground goes back to the days when he started on an automatic clutch Polini

It seems the bike in now much more dependent on the brakes, both front and rear.

I run an adige aptc which gives similar results although the design is a bit different. I think the slipper is Awsome but I came from 10 years of riding 2 strokes.. so.....

Finally got a race weekend on the BTL. It seems pretty good. Gets good hole shots, even with a rusty rider.

After the weekend I dug into the BTL for find a 750 torque limiting spring. According to the instructions it should have been an 850.

It comes with 950, 1100 and 1300.

I installed the 1100 just to see the difference. 

My son is still loving the BTL.

I'm not though. for some reason the bottom fiber against the inner basket is taking a lot of abuse.

Its wearing the fiber plate as well as the bottom plate of the inner basket.

All the other fibers look like new and there's no blue heat discolor on any steel plates.

The trans oil comes out looking like a watery shit. And we change it before 4 hrs. 

I've seen 250's destroy this plate and spread it through the transmission.

I'll be pissed if that happens with this.

If anyone has any ideas why this clutch is abusing the bottom fiber of the stack, I'd like to hear it.

I think all clutches put the most sever abuse on the bottom fiber, but this one seems extreme...

My son is still loving the BTL.

I'm not though. for some reason the bottom fiber against the inner basket is taking a lot of abuse.

Its wearing the fiber plate as well as the bottom plate of the inner basket.

All the other fibers look like new and there's no blue heat discolor on any steel plates.

The trans oil comes out looking like a watery shit. And we change it before 4 hrs. 

I've seen 250's destroy this plate and spread it through the transmission.

I'll be pissed if that happens with this.

If anyone has any ideas why this clutch is abusing the bottom fiber of the stack, I'd like to hear it.

I think all clutches put the most sever abuse on the bottom fiber, but this one seems extreme...

I would contact Hinson directly. They are pretty helpful.