Sign in to follow this  

Montana Got Stuck on Gallatin National Forest trail 156, Big Timber, MT

My DRZ-400 had too high of gearing and not a good enough rear tire for me to get out of a ravine. I went off the low side of the trail, had to cut a trail with an E-tool (folding shovel) to get back on the trail. once i did, I went over some large roots trying to find a turn around place, on the way back up the bike did a 360 out from under me and then landed on my foot, and those two falls scared the waste matter out of me. I was too shaken to ride confidently, and even attempting to walk the bike back up the roots failed. I gave up after I halucinated or actually saw a grizzly crest the far ridge. if it was real, it turned around after i yelled and headed away. i packed as much of my gear as i could and hiked out, thank god I was only two miles in. I made it out find and home, but my foot is very swollen and I don't think i can ride it out.

1) if you come across a bike on trailhead 156 west of lower deer creek road, do not panic about the rider.

2) if you happen to live nearby, I wouldn't mind some help getting it out, as i don't know if park rangers help with that sort of thing.

3) anybody else have any helpful info on how to remedy this? i don't have any friends who ride dirt bikes, and my father is too old to ride that rough of a trail.

I guess im just feeling embarrassed about the whole thing, and lost on what to do next. I was unable to go back today, too exhausted adn my foot too swollen to really do anything. some friendly forum conversation would be welcome.

Dang... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if my bike was sitting in the woods along some trail. I wouldn't count on the forest service for any support. Find a friend and get back in there to get your bike home before someone comes by and thinks "finders - keepers".

CoKTM

Is your bike still off the trail? If you can't get it back on, use a small ratcheting cable winch to drag it back up (assuming you have a nearby tree to use). Had to do that once. If I lived closer I'd come help, but I'm out in Anaconda. I ride alone a lot too, you have to be careful but sometimes stuff happens.

Edited by jonrack

I called the forest service. They said "tough luck". Wow. Can't believe that. Ridiculous.

The bike is ON the trail. I can't get it over a couple of really big roots to continue back up the trail. If anyone is nearby, i'll pay your gas. Please help

I'm a fair piece from you, down in wyoming, but I feel for ya!! The earliest I can be there would be Saturday morning. If you don't have it out by then I will come help you out. I have some other ideas of people you can contact, but will send that in a PM.

Great! Ive got a possible friend to help out at 3 p.m. today, but worried thats cutting it close to sundown by the time we get out....will keep this updated with info as things go. All help is greatly valued!

I called the forest service. They said "tough luck". Wow. Can't believe that. Ridiculous.

The bike is ON the trail. I can't get it over a couple of really big roots to continue back up the trail. If anyone is nearby, i'll pay your gas. Please help

The Forest service/Ranger's office job is not to recover stranded vehicles. Hoping otherwise is a waste of time. I hope you get some extra hands to give you assistance and get your bike back.

Glad you got it out. Don't get discouraged, we've all been there at some point. Keep riding!!!