Sign in to follow this  

Rattling Clutch Lever

The clutch lever on my 04 CRF230F rattles and makes it sound like the bike is falling apart. Is there an easy fix for this? Perhaps putting a couple nylon washers between the lever and the mounting bracke would solve the issue?

Edited by mossman77

To be clear, I'm referring to the hand lever, not the gear selector.

Edited by mossman77

Yep, shim an tighten... Maybe replace the lever and pivot bolt with new if you feel like doing a first class job?

Go ahead and lube the cable with a cable lube tool since your there anyway....couldn't hurt, right?

• Like 1

Yep, shim an tighten... Maybe replace the lever and pivot bolt with new if you feel like doing a first class job?

Go ahead and lube the cable with a cable lube tool since your there anyway....couldn't hurt, right?

Sounds good.  That's what I'll do then.  I'll definitely clean and lube as well--I'm all about doing a first class job.

Can you recommend a decent cable lube tool?  I nearly bought one from Motion Pro, but it got bad reviews.

That's the only one I have ever used so I'm not sure if there are others that work better?

They don't wear out and do a great job in my opinion. Mines probably 30+ years old so....

If you find a better one, let us all know how it works ok..

Is it necessary to clean the cables prior to lubing them, or does the lube flush out contaminants and lube at the same time?

I have done that many times but not every time.

Personally, with the lube tool, use spray brake cleaner to flush the cable and compressed air to blow out the old lube and any dirt.

If you clean and lube all pivots at the same time, you will be impressed. Especially when you do the throttle and cable.

I picked up some contact cleaner so that should do the trick, and I already have a can of Bel Ray chain and cable lube.

• Like 1

The clutch perch and lever are worn. Replace both items and rattle will go away. Lube cable while you have it apart and a dab of grease on cable ball.

The clutch perch and lever are worn. Replace both items and rattle will go away. Lube cable while you have it apart and a dab of grease on cable ball.

I have a 14' and mine rattled and fit loosely from day 1. 

• Like 1

The clutch perch and lever are worn. Replace both items and rattle will go away.

The bike is practically brand new in that it has hardly ever been ridden so I doubt anything is worn.  I ordered a couple different styles of plastic washer and will give this a try first.  Should have an answer by Friday.

Washers came in today.  The only one that is thin enough to fit is pretty flimsy, so I wasn't able to slide it in.  My lever guard wouldn't allow me to remove the clutch lever completely so I'll try again this weekend when I have a little more time.  I was able to slide it in about half way and it tightened the lever up nicely, except it wouldn't return back to the fully closed position.  Probably just best to leave it as-is, or get an aftermarket lever that isn't so loose.

Try a lexan sheet. You can get them at hobby shops. They come in .010, .020 and so on. I made a washer out of the .010 and it fit fine. Slippery enough but stiff enough to slide in. I was going to put one on top and bottom but could only one underneath.

I only tried this after reading this thread though... So thanks. That clackety lever got on my nerves too.

• Like 1