Sign in to follow this  

Mistakes that cost money

Well today I knocked my frame off the workbench and it bent the shit out of my top fork clamp. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who suffers from being clumsy while working on my bike but it irritates me enough to start this thread. Title says it all. What mistakes have you made wrenching on your own bike that ended up costing you time and/or money. More specifically because of the result of being clumsy like myself, not necessarily the result of just doing something wrong. But feel free to post those up too  :foul:

• Like 3

Well today I knocked my frame off the workbench and it bent the shit out of my top fork clamp. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who suffers from being clumsy while working on my bike but it irritates me enough to start this thread. Title says it all. What mistakes have you made wrenching on your own bike that ended up costing you time and/or money. More specifically because of the result of being clumsy like myself, not necessarily the result of just doing something wrong. But feel free to post those up too :foul:

KTM owners wouldn't get mad about a bent triple clamp.

Lmbo, ours would just snap off!

But then again, its a low risk because, they don't require such high maintenance!

Lmao

• Like 4

Well, I installed a Rekluse clutch in my son's bike recently and also pulled the throttle body off for a cleaning.  Bike was running acceptably well before that, but I sensed something was not perfect.  It wasn't, the high idle plunger was all filled with dirt, so the cleaning was necessary.

Of course, the day before the race (which was to be today) we had to take the bike to a buddy's local track to get it fine-tuned.  Liam was doing his thing, skipping over the top of whoops, but he really wanted to double-double them.  So, he made a good effort that would have looked magnificent on video.  The endo was breathtaking, complete with full Superman.  When he finally hit the ground the bike flipped over on him, but he popped to his feet with a double thumbs up (good for dad's to see!).  The brand new oversized rotor ($120) was trashed, and his third 6D ATR-1 was shredded.  He had been on the track for about 10 minutes and I figure it cost me $870.  Cool thing about the story is my garage looks freaking awesome today, and my boy was able to wish me Happy Father's Day!

Can't put a price tag on that!  Nothing better than a clean garage  :lol:

• Like 4

Don't try remove the cartridge seals heads off a Showa without drilling the dimples.... Total cost-lucky, only 60 in new seals and bushing.....

And three months no riding ( while I figure out how to fix the problem )

Don't buy a bike that has no movement in the rear........( linkage shot! )

Don't be a know it all and never be afraid/too proud to ask ;)

• Like 1

Didn't scew together my Promoto Kick-It stand right after I got the bike (see avatar) and right after I took that pic tried to start the bike with the stand still down and bent the screw that hols the stand together!

Promoto said its 49.99 to "rebuild" aka...give me a new screw.

This may not be so technical to speak of, but it's certainly a rookie mistake.  I need to let everyone know it to further my embarrassment in hopes it will teach me to never do it again.

Recently, I had to take some bikes out of the garage and make room for wrenching.  Instead of taking the stands out to the yard with the bikes, I decided to just lay them against each other upright.  Everything was fine for a while, even went inside the house and had lunch.

When I went back outside, all three bikes were on the ground.  The one on the bottom with a broken clutch perch, one in the middle, torn seat, and the one on top, broken gear shift lever.

All for being too lazy to use stands when in fact, I had three perfectly good ones sitting in the garage not being used.

:devil:

• Like 6

ouch.

Would you belive it lasted to last lap of a 40 mile H/S in AOpen class! It would not go into 5th gear STILL got 1st place was 88 CR500 in 89 think it cost me about 400 dollars GLAD I had good sponsers back then and account at shop that I could charge stuff!

• Like 1

My cousin unloaded my bike off the truck and his friend offered no help but to watch.... You guessed it.... My bike fell off the side

This could of costed me a new top-end at least. Dont ask anyone to get help you with maintence on your bike. I asked my girlfriend to open up my belray filter oil and pour it onto my filter as i rolled the filter and worked it in. I went for a quick ride and came back. I noticed that my belray fork oil was opened and my filter oil was not. Both are blue in color BTW. Got off lucky i say. Now i just do it myself.

I'm going through an expensive mistake with my supercharged mustang. I used too thin of oil and the oil got pushed through the rings, through the oil fill tube that vents into the supercharger intake. The oil founds it's way down through the Anderson Ford Racing air intake and ruined my Pro-M Racing MAF. The oil screwed up the MAF that has to be sent off to be cleaned/fixed/recalibrated....for $200. Then tonight I had to take the aeromotive fuel rail off to figure out the fuel injection size for Pro-M. The injectors are buried....Such and expensive/time consuming mistake. Sorry, not a bike though. lol

A legitimate mistake I made was when I removed my front brake master cylinder. I didn't bother pulling out the torque wrench and I shaped off that little clamp. It didn't cost me money but I had a handlebar Mount clamp and I used that. Wayyy stronger.

I ruined a set of triple clamps torquing down some new bar mounts. The triples were off the bike and I was working on the garage floor. When I was torquing to bar clamps down to the top clamp I was pressing one of the pinches against the concrete floor and bent it. No big deal though. I wanted 22mm clamps anyway. Found a used set for $50. Could have been worse.

Thinking 'i can guess the torque on this' and end up snapping a stud on the end of the fork tube that i couldnt extract. I bought an inch pound wrench that night.