Sign in to follow this  

96-98 conventional to inverted fork swap

I did a lot of searching and couldn't find a straight up answer just a lot of "it should work" or "you have to check this or that". I did the swap this weekend. All you need is the triple clamps, fork legs and any plastics attached to the front end. Calipers and hubs are fine off the older bike.

You need to post a few more details, like:

1.  What year USD forks and triple clamps did you use?

2.  Were you able to use the same front wheel and axle without needing custom spacers?

3.  And what brake line did you end up using?

The usd forks and t clamps were off a 99 rm125.

Wheels and axel and spacer and break line off the 98 rm250. Although I got the axel off the 99 they are identical

I thought of doing a usd swap on my 97 until I took apart my forks for rebuilding and found gold valves and stiffer springs lol. A rebuilt set of 49mm conventional twin chamber forks is pretty boss on trails.i do love usd rigidity tho.

My conventional were built too but the seals were shot I took the first one apart to rebuild and left it on my side yard and some one stole it

A rebuilt set of 49mm conventional twin chamber forks is pretty boss on trails.i do love usd rigidity tho.

This is the conventional wisdom out there that these standard forks work good in the woods/trails/off road. Odd that you'd switch in favor of USD unless bike is used on track I suppose.

Why would someone steal a conventional fork that's in pieces?! Are people really that desperate nowadays...

Idk y but it was very inconvenient. I almost parted the bike out cause It sat for 2 years cause I wasn't gonna buy a set of forks for almost as much as I paid for the bike but I found the usd forks and t clamps for 200 so I put it back together.

1403027843781.jpg

• Like 1

This is the conventional wisdom out there that these standard forks work good in the woods/trails/off road. Odd that you'd switch in favor of USD unless bike is used on track I suppose.

I just this week rebuilt a set of 49mm twin chamber conventionals I got off ebay to replace my 97 rm250 forks that had a broken conpression adjuster. I found the ebay gorks had racetech gold valves and stiffer springd installed! Not bad for $90! After I changed fluids and seals/bushings I could not comprehend how awesome the forks are for woods riding! BUT..... I like how usd forks look lol. If it was about fork performance, then id go conventional all the way!