2014 300RR MPG

17-25 about right?

Stock tank is approx 2 gal, aftermarket as high as 3.1, correct?

So, with 3.1 that would be 55- 78 miles, right?

Just trying to decide if this bike will work for me.

Our short rides are 50+ miles.

I'm used to getting 80-120 miles on 3.2 gas (4T)

..just wondering.. You earlier seemed to be concerned about the size of Beta's . They aren't really that big of a bike(not especially small either) ..lower seat height which is great for most guys but you are on the larger side. They are awesome bikes though and I don't think you could lose buying one. There's sort of a buying frenzy locally. The used ones are holding some high prices too. It's especially great for technical stuff..I would pick this bike for extreme enduro. I've heard the factory editions are more aggressive on the harder map switch. My 13 300 rr with the map switch put on isn't as much of a difference. Porting is supposed to be more aggressive. with the race edition. ..Cody Webb is a tall guy.. 6'4? 6'3"? and he does just fine.. Lampkin is a tall guy too and rode Beta well. ..but I just remember you asking about the 498rr I think it was.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

..just wondering.. You earlier seemed to be concerned about the size of Beta's . They aren't really that big of a bike(not especially small either) ..lower seat height which is great for most guys but you are on the larger side. They are awesome bikes though and I don't think you could lose buying one. There's sort of a buying frenzy locally. The used ones are holding some high prices too. It's especially great for technical stuff..I would pick this bike for extreme enduro. I've heard the factory editions are more aggressive on the harder map switch. My 13 300 rr with the map switch put on isn't as much of a difference. Porting is supposed to be more aggressive. with the race edition. ..Cody Webb is a tall guy.. 6'4? 6'3"? and he does just fine.. Lampkin is a tall guy too and rode Beta well. ..but I just remember you asking about the 498rr I think it was.

Not much choice anymore. 

2012 and later new bikes are all smaller, and that's just the way it is.

My main concern is range with an IMS OS tank

Not much choice anymore. 

2012 and later new bikes are all smaller, and that's just the way it is.

My main concern is range with an IMS OS tank

I can't imagine you on a 2 stroke but hope you go for it. Should be an interesting read when you start posting reports. Just do it! :thumbsup:

As discussed in another thread regarding mileage on the 300; I was getting 50 miles on most every ride with the stock 2.5 gal tank on my my 2014. I just put on a 3.1 tank and have yet to try it out, this is with just under 500 miles of trail riding and some MX and with factory jetting. When I had the tank off I pulled the carb and set the float level and dropped the needle one notch. I expect to have enough range for most rides we do in our area, but until we do a 70 miler I won't be sure. I suspect the jetting and float level had a lot to do with the mileage I was getting.

• Like 1

so dependant on terrain and riding style that it's hard to nail down numbers.  I have gone 70 miles without hitting reserve on stock 2gal (2013) 300rr.  Have also run out and had to borrow fuel at 50 miles. 

With the 3.1gal and open trails, I expect to see close to 100 miles.

When doing longer rides I carry an extra gal in saddlebags.  Am anxiously awaiting my 3.1tank (should be in this week).

On my KTM's I always used JD's kits but you could tell stock the jetting was off, on my beta not so much? At 600 ft elevation I think I'm a 1/2 clip rich on the needle and probably a main rich! I'm 1.75 on my air screw so that also tells me I a touch rich on the pilot! Has any one tried JD kit on a 300 yet? I am using the 3.1 tank so it's not that bad a deal , but I still have a lot of sponge on my silencer! Leaning it out a little at a time!

• Like 1

I dropped my needle one clip and am still a bit rich on bottom and probably on the main.  Cleaning up the midrange improved mileage a lot and got rid of a stutter/burbble in the lower mid that was bothering me.  I am at stock screw and main, 500' altitude.  Suspect I could safely drop a pilot size and a main size and go back up the needle-but it runs so well that I'm not going to screw with it yet.

• Like 1

On my KTM's I always used JD's kits but you could tell stock the jetting was off, on my beta not so much? At 600 ft elevation I think I'm a 1/2 clip rich on the needle and probably a main rich! I'm 1.75 on my air screw so that also tells me I a touch rich on the pilot! Has any one tried JD kit on a 300 yet? I am using the 3.1 tank so it's not that bad a deal , but I still have a lot of sponge on my silencer! Leaning it out a little at a time!

I believe Beta Steve was the test bike for JD and BrantsDad on TT has it on his 13 250rr.

I had very touchy and picky jetting with the motul at 50:1, once I went old school with lucas at 32:1 every think got better. Mileage, jetting tolerance, power, response, crispness, a lot less spooge and stock jetting just one half altitude lean with a gnarly and a Q on my 13 250.

• Like 1

I did 51 miles of mostly single track yesterday and it looks like I have about 1/3 of a tank left. Haven't measured yet but will tomorrow

Stock tank? I know you have done quite a bit to the 300 but don't remember if it included the larger tank.

I just spent Thurs, Friday & Saturday taking my Brother, his son, and three friends on single track around my area - 165 miles total. I have gone to the large tank and re-set the float level along with dropping the needle one notch, glad I did as I lost four of the riders at the end of Fridays ride. Subsequently, I ended up with 77 miles on looking for them - some road and some trail. Saturday was our shortest route as everyone was pretty much done for, put on 47 miles and they were the fastest miles and the most rugged trail. They had brought a rider that was just getting back into riding, had a new/used bike that ran poorly and had never ridden single track, I tended to him the first two days and let the other guys pick up their pace when I was sure they couldn't get lost - my mistake the second day! Third day the new rider was used up and went golfing and made it so we could do a tougher route at higher speeds.

Back on point; the jetting changes I made; while small, made quite a difference in mileage and probably could use some more fine tuning with the A/S. All in all, much more pleased with the mileage.

So I tracked my fuel usage this past weekend at a two day dual sport in the rocky northeast. Did a total of 198 miles in the two days. I was averaging 30mpg!

I wasn't on the pipe much because of the technical riding, so that probably helped. Also went 58 miles without having to switch on reserve, not too shabby.

Can't think of milage gas today is so different from the past, even same brand to another as much as 10-15% difference.

For me any more I just think Grins per Mile are more important.

Later George

• Like 1

Can't think of milage gas today is so different from the past, even same brand to another as much as 10-15% difference.

For me any more I just think Grins per Mile are more important.

Later George

Making it back to the truck is equally, if not more important, that is why I started this thread: can I feasably go two-stroke, with a 3.2 gal tank, an still do a very agressive 85+  mile loop....

Making it back to the truck is equally, if not more important, that is why I started this thread: can I feasably go two-stroke, with a 3.2 gal tank, an still do a very agressive 85+  mile loop....

Better carry your AAA card. And lots of water for the wait.