Sign in to follow this  

Restoring an XR200R, Show me your paint jobs and mods

Last year I decided to get a project bike to keep my self busy in the winter as I'm a student and work in summer. I went out and bought a 2001 Honda XR 200. The guy I got it from took the engine out and left it in his shed and the frame outside to work on the blown up motor, he left the bike there for years and years and never got it done. When I got it only ended up paying $250 for it all but needed a lot of love and money. So far I put new leavers, cables, rocker arms, top end kit, cam (one lobe worn down because of not enough care), cam chain, air filter, back brakes (fell apart so rusted), cylinder honed, header pipe, and finally a found a seat in good condition. and ended up paying around another $500 for parts. 

So right now the engine is slowly going back together and the frame is completely striped, sanded and primed along with the exhaust, header pipe and handle bars. But I came to a problem... I'm not sure what color I want. All my friends told me to black out the bike and what they mean is black plastics, frame, wheels and everything but honestly I don't like the sound of that. I did like the black exhaust, handle bars. header and frame then shine the red and white plastics up. I guess what I'm really wondering is would you post some pics of your bikes to see what cool things you did to them and tell me what mods you gave the bikes.

I don't do flickr because they want a sign up and will display my name.

Not a restoration but just a collection of parts starting with an 01 frame that I walnut shell blasted and repainted. The goal was a good trail bike for technical single track.

Paint is silver VHT urethane wheel paint with a Varathane urethane clear coat.

Tank, seat, & fenders are 90.

Side panels and headlite are mid 80s XR250.

Front forks are CRF150R, wheel is CR85 w/ 21" rim

Rear is XR250 swingarm & shock, and a RM wheel w/ a radial ply Trials tire.

Engine is a 97 with Powroll 218 mods.

01 XR200R Weight Reduction (1).JPG

01 XR200R Weight Reduction (2).JPG

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

It all depends:

The stock shock seemed to work OK with the stock forks but the different damping of the USD forks seemed to be out of sync with the 200 shock. The '02 XR250 shock seems to work better with the CRF150R forks. Shock is the next gen to the remote reservoir 200 shock and a big improvement for the kind of riding that I do.  With the XR200 shock I used a stiffer XR250 spring, with this shock I use a XR200 spring.

Installation requires shock and frame mods:

The shock is too long so I shortened the shock clevis and moved the frame mount up. The SA is 90-95 XR250 for the disc brake, same length and the XR200 linkage fits. 

Hey guys, thanks so much for these 200 forums. I have been reading them for about two years now and have gleaned lots of information about mods and tech specs. Chuck your the Man! I do have a question for you. Where can I get the special 28 hole excel 21 inch front wheel?

Here are some photos of my bike (actually my wife's... But it's my secret trail bike)

1995 xr 200 CA street legal

Cr 85 big wheel front end (w/ xr250 steering stem)

Crf 150r header (moded) and muffler

95 xr 250 swing arm and rear wheel

84-85 xr200 linkage

Billet kickstand.

I hope to use an aluminum xr250 kick starter to knock off another .5lbs

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499782.096633.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499797.080568.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499814.692453.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499834.979004.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499847.223069.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403499859.431296.jpg

@chuck

Yes indeed that would be pricey probably around $400 and that is with me picking it up. I have a complete front wheel from my yz426. I should check the spacing and see if I can get a proper size rotor and if there are bearings that could accomadate such a small axle. Have you heard of any success stories with such an approach. I know you adapted your rm rear wheel in a similar way.

Here is a later model supertrapp exhaust that I modded to fit the early chassis. Had to section 2 inches out if the mid pipe for things to line up. I used a later model head pipe, so the xr's only header should fit with no problems.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403754674.553821.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403754687.970604.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403754706.070544.jpg