Sign in to follow this  

Sand setup Q's

Was just wondering how any of you who routinely ride the sand go about setting it up for the different conditions. I run a filterskin and some extra grease to help keep the sand out of the air box. My biggest problem is with the bike loading up (or what I think is loading up).

'04 CR250

'05 base gasket

PWK Air Stryker from JD with the red needle in the 3rd clip position, 178, 45, A/S about 1.5 turns out.

FMF Fatty and Powercore

13/49 gearing

Riding at the coast (zero elevation), temps were actually pretty warm and humid.

BR9 plug, came out pretty dark, spooge out the silencer, but not a shit ton.

Since I ride with my girlfriend who's on a quad, I'm not hard on the throttle very often, so I'm thinking I am just running a little too rich. Half the time I snap the throttle it sputters and gargles until I clean it out and hit the revs, then it seems good. I'm also gonna check my clutch and piston this week to make sure I don't have a problem either of those places that's robbing me of power. I also feel like my PV isn't opening early enough, so I'm gonna check my cables and put a new gasket on the cover. I dropped the idle down a little and that helped, and when the bike gets up to temp I could probably drop it even a little more.

So I'm wondering if I should lean out the pilot circuit a little since I don't ring the tits off of it very often. It's tricky because I go back and forth between barely lugging along to 5th gear down a whooped out sand trail, so I'm always giving something up somewhere. I was even thinking about dropping down to the 175 main (that's what JD recommended for my elevation, I just figured I needed to bump it up one because of the sand). I know the main doesn't effect the pilot circuit, but someone was quoting JD and said that the main primarily effects the top third of the throttle range, but it does also effect the entire range, just not as much.

Edited by JDubya381

MXBonz airbox seal kit. The seal on the gen 3 CR's is terrible.

MXBonz airbox seal kit. The seal on the gen 3 CR's is terrible.

Okay will do. Will that help performance, or just the longevity of my motor? Because I'm facing a minor setup problem too.