Sign in to follow this  

What brand GMC,CHEVY or FORD Motovan to get?

I have a 2000 ford e250 ext v6 now. 180k miles.This is my daily driver, Looking to upgrade. What brand do you guys and girls recommend? Any thing i should be on the look out for with each of these vans? Should i be worried about vans with high miles? Thanks for the help

• Like 1

It depends what you're looking for, are you getting a new van/used one, what is your budget, is fuel economy a factor? And a gmc and chevy are identical other than the grille and a few emblems

Edited by yamaha 08

It depends what you're looking for, are you getting a new van/used one, what is your budget, is fuel economy a factor? And a gmc and chevy are identical other than the grille and a few emblems

Looking for used. Trying not to spend over 9,000.

From what I know they are all pretty similar on quality. Personally I prefer the looks and feel of the GM's, but that's all personal preference.

The main difference between GM and Ford vans are in the extended models. The GM's have a longer wheelbase and short rear overhang. This makes for a more stable ride, but harder to maneuver in tight spots. The Fords have a longer overhang in the rear. They are easier to handle in city driving, but a bit less stable when loaded in the rear. Also, the overhang can cause some rubbing issues while towing.

From what I know they are all pretty similar on quality. Personally I prefer the looks and feel of the GM's, but that's all personal preference.

The main difference between GM and Ford vans are in the extended models. The GM's have a longer wheelbase and short rear overhang. This makes for a more stable ride, but harder to maneuver in tight spots. The Fords have a longer overhang in the rear. They are easier to handle in city driving, but a bit less stable when loaded in the rear. Also, the overhang can cause some rubbing issues while towing.

Thanks for the good info.

I have a 2000 ford e250 ext v6 now. 180k miles.This is my daily driver, Looking to upgrade. What brand do you guys and girls recommend? Any thing i should be on the look out for with each of these vans? Should i be worried about vans with high miles? Thanks for the help

Why trade?

Here's mileages from three of our fleet of 150 ford vans, 3 1999 v6 E250's

These are three of 25 that we have over 400,000 miles on. We will soon have another 23 added to the 400,000 mile list in the next few months.

The 2004's are currently at 365-383,000 they will be averaging 70,000 miles a year.

Oh, the two with less than 500,000 are all original drivetrains too. Never torn down yet.

The 522,000 just got a drivetrain rebuild at 500,000.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

Why trade?

Here's mileages from three of our fleet of 150 ford vans, 3 1999 v6 E250's

These are three of 25 that we have over 400,000 miles on. We will soon have another 23 added to the 400,000 mile list in the next few months.

The 2004's are currently at 365-383,000 they will be averaging 70,000 miles a year.

Oh, the two with less than 500,000 are all original drivetrains too. Never torn down yet.

The 522,000 just got a drivetrain rebuild at 500,000.

Nice! Looks like mines is just getting broken in! lol! So are the ee250 v6 good engines?

• Like 1

I have a 96 Ford E 350 with less then 60k miles I'll sell you pretty cheap...

Problem is I'm a few 1000 miles away...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

Nice! Looks like mines is just getting broken in! lol! So are the ee250 v6 good engines?

They've held up great for us.

Tune ups every 100,000 miles,(includes coil pack,wires & plugs) oil changes every 4-6 weeks between 7000-10000 miles and top off the rest of the fluids only.

We use wix filters, shell oil.

Hard parts like starters alternator's etc, Ford parts only.

Never had to change timing chains, or any internal parts.

Until we overhaul at 500,000 miles.

Our biggest issue is body work. Drivers beat them up.

Rust repairs too on 14 yr old vans.

With 150 vans we stay busy just 8 mechanics, including body shop, but most of our repairs are 6.0L diesels that run 24/7, the heat kills them quicker. Stuck injectors etc.

But v6's very low maintenance in comparison. Basically gas and go.

So, yes your e series is like one of our 2yr old vans. Lol

Plenty of life left in it.

I drive a Ford E-350 or a Chev 2500 for work. I'm not sure what's in the Chev for a motor but the Ford with 350,000k on it has a 5.4 v8 with enough power to pull a trailer and what not as well and runs fine. The chev is v8 but I'm not sure if it's a 5.3 or a 6.0 or even a 4.8, no idea. I prefer to drive the Ford over the Chev, I find it feels a little better on the road and is easier to see out of. It feels more stable on the road and stays in it's own tracks instead of wandering after bumps. I prefer the Ford myself, a 5.4 is a great motor as is a 4.6. No experience with the v6's, but I couldn't see the mileage being any better with a 6 working to pull that big loaded van vs a v8 plus you have a huge gain of towing capacity if you ever want to tow a trailer or haul heavier then usual. 

• Like 1

Is a 2008 chevy express duramax with 160k miles for 9 grand a good deal?

Is a 2008 chevy express duramax with 160k miles for 9 grand a good deal?

Nope, reason their dumping it is either it's going to need something or needing something now. Fixing diesels is not cheap! I would pass...

up  the $$  and get  a  used  sprinter.    awesome mileage,   runs like a top for me  and most  other  owners.  

I can get used vans in average shape for 2-3k all day, everyday. In good shape without a ton of miles, I wouldn't pay much more then $5000. Avoid diesels like the plague unless you really need the towing power (you most likely don't). 

• Like 1

I can get used vans in average shape for 2-3k all day, everyday. In good shape without a ton of miles, I wouldn't pay much more then $5000. Avoid diesels like the plague unless you really need the towing power (you most likely don't).

I wish they had vans in that price range in MD. For that price they are all 200,000 mile beat up vans.

I wish they had vans in that price range in MD. For that price they are all 200,000 mile beat up vans.

My uncle got a e350 gas, assuming it's a 5.4 with low mileage for 5500. Not sure on the specifics but it looks brand new. 

So what rubs on the back of the overhang on ford vans when towing exactly? Last time I checked and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ford have the hitch right at the bak of the van just like the chevy?

So what rubs on the back of the overhang on ford vans when towing exactly? Last time I checked and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the ford have the hitch right at the bak of the van just like the chevy?

Yes, the hitch is right under the bumper on both vans, but the bumper is farther back compared to the rear axle on the Ford. When getting out of driveways and such, the bumper gets closer to the ground, and the trailer jack (or even the shackle) has more chance of rubbing on the asphalt because of that.