Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to replace clutch springs?

Heyo me again!
Im replacing my fibers/steels and pressure plate and im trying to keep the cost down

Is it 100% necessary to replace the springs everytime i replace the plates and stuff?  I read somewhere that you should, and other places that you dont need to

Thanks!

I just changed the plates on my bike cuz the springs were too stiff and It worked fine I'm not sure if I was supposed to but it worked

Let's say the springs weren't to spec, would it cause serious problems or just a harder clutch pull?

Let's say the springs weren't to spec, would it cause serious problems or just a harder clutch pull?

They weaken with time compressed and heat. Basically they get weaker as they age in use. This equates to lower uncompressed height (thus measurement to determine condition) and weaker spring tension thus weaker clamping pressure and softer clutch hand lever pull.

The negative symptom you get from excessively sacked clutch springs is a slipping clutch under heavy load even with good frictions.

Heyo me again!

Im replacing my fibers/steels and pressure plate and im trying to keep the cost down

Is it 100% necessary to replace the springs everytime i replace the plates and stuff?  I read somewhere that you should, and other places that you dont need to

Thanks!

The springs are just as important as any other piece in there.  I have found that if I keep good springs in a modern clutch set up the fibers will last twice as long.  I replace springs twice as often as the fibers.  Meaning two sets of springs to every one plate change. 

Good advice was given as far as measuring the uninstalled spring height, but if you don't know what the new height was or is then that measurement will not do you any good.  You need to compare apples to apples.  Meaning, new stock springs to used stock springs or new pro circuit springs to used pro circuit springs.  Each manufacture will have it's own new, uninstalled spring length.  The ideal way to do it would be to have a spring pressure checker ant a given height or just replace them at a given time interval, which is what I do.

Did you inspect the basket and inner hub?  Is there a problem with the pressure plate?  It's unusual to have a problem with the pressure plate and not have a worn out basket and drive hub.

The springs are just as important as any other piece in there. I have found that if I keep good springs in a modern clutch set up the fibers will last twice as long. I replace springs twice as often as the fibers. Meaning two sets of springs to every one plate change.

Good advice was given as far as measuring the uninstalled spring height, but if you don't know what the new height was or is then that measurement will not do you any good. You need to compare apples to apples. Meaning, new stock springs to used stock springs or new pro circuit springs to used pro circuit springs. Each manufacture will have it's own new, uninstalled spring length. The ideal way to do it would be to have a spring pressure checker ant a given height or just replace them at a given time interval, which is what I do.

Did you inspect the basket and inner hub? Is there a problem with the pressure plate? It's unusual to have a problem with the pressure plate and not have a worn out basket and drive hub.

Check out my other post, there are pictures there. The inner and outer hub look almost new it's weird

Steels are burnt and I'm just replacing fibers... Well because! There is a strange crack on the pressure plate as well. Looks almost like a repair, that's why I'm replacing that. The springs look pay bit then again I have no idea. Thanks for the input!

I usually replace it all I call rm. u can buy the tusk kit for about 50 bucks for everything. Except gasket