Sign in to follow this  

Oil drip from CARB?!?

I had to take another long road trip with my drz on the back of my pickup. On the first leg of the trip I had the issue with the rain and afterward it idled rough and would die. I flushed fuel/oil, let it dry out a day and it came back fine.

This leg of the trip took me up to about 12,000 feet in altitude, so beforehand I drained as much of the fuel as I could without taking the tank off. Also drained the bowl at this time.

As I was inspecting the bike during a pit stop, there appeared to be a very very slow drip on the vertical screw just to the left of the float bowl screw. At this point I also noticed that the petcock was left on PRI.

I touched the screw with my finger and the fluid was NOT the color of fuel...much closer to conventional oil...although I use synthetic.

What the hell is going on? Could the drastic altitude change have forced oil up into the carb?!? I haven't had a chance to try and drain the float boal again to see if anything comes out and that color it is.

I had to take another long road trip with my drz on the back of my pickup. On the first leg of the trip I had the issue with the rain and afterward it idled rough and would die. I flushed fuel/oil, let it dry out a day and it came back fine.

This leg of the trip took me up to about 12,000 feet in altitude, so beforehand I drained as much of the fuel as I could without taking the tank off. Also drained the bowl at this time.

As I was inspecting the bike during a pit stop, there appeared to be a very very slow drip on the vertical screw just to the left of the float bowl screw. At this point I also noticed that the petcock was left on PRI.

I touched the screw with my finger and the fluid was NOT the color of fuel...much closer to conventional oil...although I use synthetic.

What the hell is going on? Could the drastic altitude change have forced oil up into the carb?!? I haven't had a chance to try and drain the float boal again to see if anything comes out and that color it is.

people ride motorcycles in areas like that, and their oil systems don't go upside down... so no

check your airbox for oil, and the valve cover vent, vent hoses, etc

i'm curious about the gas tank, why did you drain it to trailer the bike ? 

There is an oil crankcase breather box on the right side of your bike, directly next to the carb.

Check and make sure all the lines are secure and not split.

Could be oil leaching from the air filter, if they are over-oiled or exposed to significant thinners, like gas or really heavy water

Could also be a float valve that is leaking ...which is usually due to the failure of the little o-ring under the float valve seat.

Has nothing to do with the elevation, methinks.

Well I got to drain the bowl again this AM. As the cock was left in PRI the altitude pushed some fuel that wasn't drained into the carb. The good news is that the fuel coming out of the bowl drain was regular color, though the synthetic oil I use is very similar in color.  I checked the dipstick and the oil seemed very low, even though I replaced a full 1.8 less than two weeks ago.  I rode the bike around a parking lot for about 2-5 minutes prior to checking the stick.

Edit: the first thing I did when I noticed the color of the leak was check the air filter. Everything seemed OK but maybe I'll replace it just because. 

Edited by GeologyRocks

Not sure why you're draining the carb bowl. "the altitude pushed some fuel that wasn't drained into the carb"??

I don't think altitude has anything to do with this....I routinely run my aircraft's engine at 12,000' and nothing changes, fuel flow or oil-wise(except that I lean the mixture out)

No point in replacing your air filter if that hasn't been identified as an issue....what does the filter look like?

I suggest that you not change things willy-nilly, because while it may feel like you are *doing something* you are doing something without any sound reasoning.

Any chance that the carb is flooding gas into the intake throat? If you find a fuel-wet filter or see gas in the airbox that is a valid observation that this is happening.

Get back to *basic* diagnostics and you will find the issue, I'm confident of that.

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1