Sign in to follow this  

New to me BRP carb help

Hey guys,

I picked up this 2003 xr650r, plated with papers yesterday. I got an insane deal and couldn't pass it up. Besides needing minor work it is ready to rock. I have absolutely no experience with the Honda bikes besides the z50r I used to ride when I was 5. 

-The ugly: the bike had been sitting a long time before I purchased it. The gas is rank, I drained a fair amount of the old stuff out, added a couple fuel additives and put fresh fuel in it. The bike will randomly high idle, crackle, pop, backfire, as well as act up in general. I have only taken it for a quick burn and am unsure where to start addressing these issues. Does this sound like carb jetting or air/fuel?? 

my lack of experience with these bikes has me somewhat lost as to where to start, any pointers?? thanks

Mike.

xr650r.jpg

does the bike start easy? does it run good when you open it up?

first I would open the carb and give it a good cleaning as mentioned above, then take note of what jets you have installed to make later re-jetting easier.

next thing i would do is to check the valve clearance, this is easy and doesn't take long to do, if you are unsure how to do it, you can find plenty of good guides if you do a google search.

• Like 1

Hey there, thanks for the replies guys.

Yah the bike fires up easily but immediately idles high and crackles out the exhaust, it seems to run normal-ish when it is opened up in gear, its issues are mostly at idle and when no throttle is being given. ill take the carb apart today.and see. wish me luck.

I just went through this with my R. Gas in the tank had a residual stink, so I dumped it all out and rinsed the tank til it smelled right. It took 3 tries to get the carb cleaned right. Deposits in the jets need to be physically removed - carb spray won't get it out. I pull a single strand out of a multi-strand copper wire. Copper is softer than the brass, so it wont scratch the jet, and it works well to scrape the gunk out. Another secret was the emulsion tube - The long tube with a bunch of holes in it, has a hex head, and the main jet threads into it. Take that out and work a fine wire brush through all the little holes, while spraying with Berryman's. Mine still didn't run right off idle with the stock 65s jet, so I put in a 68s and now it runs better than I ever expected with the stock carb.

• Like 1