Sign in to follow this  

Crashed and hit my head

Hi guys on Saterday I had a small tumble at low speed and in the process I seemed to hit my head against the ground. I immediately felt kind of nausea and just a bit weird. It lasted for maybe a minute and then I got up and felt ok again and went on racing. Is this normal or should I go see a doctor? On Sunday and today my head does kind of feel something but it is vague.

Would you recommend I replace my helmet after this? This is the second knock my helmet has took. The previous knock I did not feel but there were scuff marks on the helmet.

Show pics of helmet. All depends, always better safe than sorry.

If you have any cracks, no brainer, replace.

I would actually call mfr of the helmet and ask. Its ur brain.

• Like 1

Replace the helmet now. You probably have a concussion as mentioned, if you hit your head hard enough for a concussion the helmet is done and has done its job. Check inside and if any of the paint on the foam inside liner looks like it has veins of white it is done for sure, basically the paint breaking. But if it was me I would lose it regardless. I have 4 or 5 bad ones hanging in my garage.

• Like 1

Replace your helmet immediately. Say you are carrying your helmet and you accidently drop it and it bounces off the ground, it needs to be replaced as the exterior shell has just been compromised. If you are feeling funny definitely go see the doc. You have to ask your self what your head worth? You only get one and not like you can change it out.

All your symptoms went away in a couple mins and no issues since? Just don't bump your head for a couple weeks, meaning no risks.

On the shell you needs to inspect for delaminations, if any found discard

On the liner, if there is any damage ( depressions, cracks) discard

Unless you were having serious issues the doctor is going to be a waste of time. They'll act like they give a fck and tell you to take it easy but with a concussion only you know what's best. I would avoid any riding at all for a good amount of time. This incident might of been small and you'll bounce back but if you get another one before your 100% you'll have some serious issues. Throwing your brain out of whack is downright scary. I've seen guys change into different people after concussions. I would take a bone break over a concussion any day. Stay off the bike for a while and get a new helmet.

I inspected the helmet and there are no clear signs of damage externally or internally. I contacted the manufacturer to find out if I can have the helmet sent somewhere for testing. The next race is only in 3 weeks. I just need to find out if that is enough time to recover or should I rather play it safe and skip that race?

I inspected the helmet and there are no clear signs of damage externally or internally. I contacted the manufacturer to find out if I can have the helmet sent somewhere for testing. The next race is only in 3 weeks. I just need to find out if that is enough time to recover or should I rather play it safe and skip that race?

Do you want the honest answer coming from me as a paramedic? Or the answer coming from my competitive side?

Do you want the honest answer coming from me as a paramedic? Or the answer coming from my competitive side?

I would like your opinion as a paramedic. My competitive side already took over once I felt ok and went on racing for another hour and 40 minutes.

As a paramedic you should avoid all chances of injury to your head for at least a month. I can honestly tell you i wouldn't last that long. Take 2 weeks with no riding not even slow riding around your yard. Even just a small bump can make things worse. As long as you go 2 weeks with no pain, severe headaches, or dizzy spells you should be just fine. If you do get any of them from today on i recommend seeing a doctor. Also replace your helmet. It may look fine with only a few scuffs but is $100-$500 for a new one worth your life or someone having to take care of you like a baby for the rest of your life?

• Like 1

Call me crazy but it seems like more than once I have seen odd stories on the news about somebody hitting their head and barely having a scratch, that end up being rushed to the hospital later and dying from swelling in the brain.  People seemed fine after the incident.  Isn't this one of those things you don't mess with?

Go see a doctor , first sign, the spelling of Saturday , concussions are not something to play with. Take it from a football dad.

Go see a doctor , first sign, the spelling of Saturday , concussions are not something to play with. Take it from a football dad.

Haha that just bad spelling because English is not my first language. In my language Saturday is written as Saterdag so that should explain the spelling. If I struggle at work tomorrow with thinking I guess that would be a good indication.

Haha that just bad spelling because English is not my first language. In my language Saturday is written as Saterdag so that should explain the spelling. If I struggle at work tomorrow with thinking I guess that would be a good indication.

Ok just remember one hour at the docs you sleep easy. You can't ride with a €%#~\+ up head.

Ok just remember one hour at the docs you sleep easy. You can't ride with a €%#~\+ up head.

I will make a appointment at the doctor tomorrow and just be sure. I will keep off the bike for the next 3 weeks until the race and just keep fit by hitting the gym.

• Like 1

Speaking from experience, I've had 4 concussions and never seen a doctor. Only one was bad enough to cause sensitivity to light. I was always told to not go to sleep for a while and if headache lasts long then you should go get checked out. From what I understand from your post I think you should be alright, doctors can be expensive.