Bottom end help please.

Hey guys, my names Ryan. Just joined this site so hello to all. In so cal have a 2002 cr250. The other day I did the crank seals (both sides) without splitting the case. Just pulled the clutch and stator and popped em in. I think when I put it back together I didn't do something right on te clutch side. I rode at el mirage yesterday for two mins and I popped a nice hole in the case. It ran back to camp but what on earth may I have done?? Any info or opinions would be helpful. I am not afraid of criticism as long as you give me some insight as well. Thanks!

-clueless.

Here's the pic

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402921719.850296.jpg

Looks like the bolt on the primary drive gear poking through that hole... must have backed out of the crank, or not installed correctly?
As long as you didn't mess up the threads in the crankshaft, you may be able to install a new bolt with loctite, and either replace the right side cover, or JBweld it up.

• Like 1

Looks like the bolt on the primary drive gear poking through that hole... must have backed out of the crank, or not installed correctly?

As long as you didn't mess up the threads in the crankshaft, you may be able to install a new bolt with loctite, and either replace the right side cover, or JBweld it up.

That is exactly what it is!!

Thank you gentlemen! It was actually an "acquaintance" of mine who did the work. (Top ends I can do, but bottom end stuff I stay away from) anyways the guy knows what he's doing i just think he messed up. So he WILL be buying me a new right case (cover?). I won't stand for JB weld. So could there be a chance he just didn't tighten well enough? Is there a torque spec on that? And also could it have wrecked anything else in there? I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so if/when he decides to act like it's my fault I'll have some ammunition for him. Any more info or insight would be spectacular. Thanks again guys.

By the way. This site rocks man. I've been looking for a good forum with knowledgeable people. Looks like I've found it. I'm trying to get back in to racing after about a ten year break so if anyone knows of any two stroke only races in so cal let me know.

I'll shut up now. Thanks all.

The bolt was probably forgotten, finger tight.

It would be best to remove that right side cover to be sure no other damage was done. It's possible the drive gear slid out on its splines and made contact with something else, or a chunk of the side cover could have gotten munched up in there. The only way to know is take it apart and see.

Thank you gentlemen! It was actually an "acquaintance" of mine who did the work. (Top ends I can do, but bottom end stuff I stay away from) anyways the guy knows what he's doing i just think he messed up. So he WILL be buying me a new right case (cover?). I won't stand for JB weld. So could there be a chance he just didn't tighten well enough? Is there a torque spec on that? And also could it have wrecked anything else in there? I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so if/when he decides to act like it's my fault I'll have some ammunition for him. Any more info or insight would be spectacular. Thanks again guys.

By the way. This site rocks man. I've been looking for a good forum with knowledgeable people. Looks like I've found it. I'm trying to get back in to racing after about a ten year break so if anyone knows of any two stroke only races in so cal let me know.

I'll shut up now. Thanks all.

The torque spec on that is 47 ft. pounds. Only other thing that could really be damaged is the threads it came out of on the crank. Most likely only the first one or two if any. Should still have plenty to put it back into. I would buy a replacement bolt though.

Edited by wykyd450r

The bolt was probably forgotten, finger tight.

It would be best to remove that right side cover to be sure no other damage was done. It's possible the drive gear slid out on its splines and made contact with something else, or a chunk of the side cover could have gotten munched up in there. The only way to know is take it apart and see.

That's what I'm afraid of lol. I'm hoping he just forgot to tighten it. I just have to have him take it back apart and total up the damage. I'll see what happens and let you guys know thanks again.