Sign in to follow this  

Gearbox oil in crank piston on 2 stroke

Most likely cause is a right side crank seal. Cheap/easy fix. Internal crankcase leak is possible too, but less likely. It too is a dirt cheap fix provided the cases aren't severly warped and provided you have the tools and skills to do the work.....albeit it a MUCH bigger job than simply changing a crank seal...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2

Likely going to have to split the cases and re-seal them. Worst case scenario, you'll have to replace a case half. Depends on how cheap it's going for and how much of the work you can do yourself. If you're going to have a shop do it, it's going to be a bit more pricey, but still cheap compared to fixing about anything on a 4 stroke. Also depends on how plentiful YZ250s are in your area, and if you're wanting a YZ250, or just looking for something to turn and make a few $$ on. YZ250s are like hens teeth around here, so a cheap one, even in need of some work, is something to grab.

• Like 1

Most likely cause is a right side crank seal. Cheap/easy fix. Internal crankcase leak is possible too, but less likely. It too is a dirt cheap fix provided the cases aren't severly warped and provided you have the tools and skills to the work.....albeit it a MUCH bigger job than simply changing a crank seal...

Yeah, could well be a crank seal too. I gather those are replaceable from the outside on a YZ then? 

• Like 1

That's good to know. Silly KDX you have to split the cases to replace it.. :banghead:

Yeah I've seen where the older Kawis have their seals from the inside.....pretty dumb design if you ask me...lol.