Sign in to follow this  

07 SM front fork tubes

Anyone else out there having an isue with fork tubes? The gold anodize or whatever it is on there is flaking,chiping off. Open to ideas

Disassemble the forks so you have the bare fork tube.

Put the fork tube on a lathe, remove outer layer and polish the tubes.

• Like 1

I put carbon fiber vinyl decal and covered the whole thing.

Got a pic?

Someone just recently offered me a set of SM tubes that the gold is flaking on them also,   was thinking about if i should take them and see if i can someone make it look nice. 

I still haven't taken off the old headlight bracket so waiting game to do the top. I think it looks better than the gold especially since it was flaking really bad. Bought a roll of the vinyl for $12 on ebay.

2014-05-25 20.45.22.jpg

• Like 2

Does anybody know if the S and SM top of the forks diameter (where it slides in the tripples and gets tightend down with the 4 bolts) is the dame diameter?  can i just pull the S forks out and slide in SM forks?

Does anybody know if the S and SM top of the forks diameter (where it slides in the tripples and gets tightend down with the 4 bolts) is the dame diameter?  can i just pull the S forks out and slide in SM forks?

They are not the same, you will need the SM triples to use SM forks.

They are not the same, you will need the SM triples to use SM forks.

Aww man... sucks,   cause the SM forks are wider right?

Aww man... sucks,   cause the SM forks are wider right?

SM forks are 47mm

S forks are 49 mm

But because the SM forks are upside down the fatter part of the fork is at the top, with the S model conventional forks the skinny part is at the top.

SM forks are 47mm

S forks are 49 mm

But because the SM forks are upside down the fatter part of the fork is at the top, with the S model conventional forks the skinny part is at the top.

Yep,  i can have 2 SM forks in great shape (cept the gold flaking off) for pretty much free i think,  buzzkill that if i wanted to use em id have to get new tripples..