Used bike

He said he has bill of sale

the problem with just bill of sale is that if the bike was stolen at some point, you could lose the bike anyway. this is not likely, but does happen and is something to consider.

anyone can print up a bill of sale. a guy could steel a bike, print up a bill of sale, and then sell it to another guy. that guy could then sell the bike to you, also with a bill of sale. now you have a stolen bike that neither you nor the guy you bought it from knew was stolen.

at some point, somehow, the the police figure out that the bike was stolen. you *probably* won't be in any legal trouble since you could prove that you didn't know it was stolen (though you might still end up having to spend money on a lawyer), but the bike would go back to the original owner and you would get nothing in return. you would have lost the money you paid for it.

i'm not saying i would never buy a dirt bike i did not plan to dual sport with just a bill of sale, but it is a risk to be aware of in making your decision.

Unless you live in California it will be fine. Most states, like 49 of them probably, don't check for titles on dirt bikes unless you want a dual sport. California is the only one I've herd of that cares if you have a title.

Washington State and California require a title and registration for off road stickers. Without a title you are automatically illegal to ride on public lands.

ALL bikes come with a certificate of origin which some states convert into a title. If someone says that there was never any documentation for a bike they are lying.

• Like 1

Unless you live in California it will be fine. Most states, like 49 of them probably, don't check for titles on dirt bikes unless you want a dual sport. California is the only one I've herd of that cares if you have a title.

I've been through this in Florida (nightmare to say the least). If you live in a state that requires a title then I highly recommend you demand a title or walk away. In Florida you won't be able to ride on any public land and more importantly, if you ever want to sell it your buyer pool will be significantly smaller and you'll likely get less.

In maine you only need a title for street use. Off road bikes get issued mso's which are basically so any lien holder had a document like a title proving the lien. You don't need an mso to register for off-road use (just a bill of sale) and after 15 years old or under 300cc you don't need title so in maine coming across titles and even mso's are rare.