Let me start off by introducing myself, my name is Mike and I live is south jersey (tuckerton). I really want to get into the "legal" way of riding the pine barrens in south jersey. So I got my licence and now am on the market for a 250.

I am looking into a new or used dual sport, as all know you have the crf250l, klx250s, or the wr250r. Fuel injected or not, as far as I see it i have never had a fuel injected bike so would I really care if i had it? 

You can only get so much out of a review so next best thing is to ride one. No one gives rides though, you can sit on it in the dealer. I am interested in tips/advice or if someone in the area has a bike they would not mind letting me go on a 5 minute ride. 

I would go with the Honda, but they say it has no power or suspension adjustment. It is fuel injected though.

I would go with the Kawasaki, but it is carb and takes forever to warm up. (This is what I am leaning towards)

And the Yamaha, it costs "too much" and makes power only in the upper RPM.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Mike 

You nailed it. The Yamaha is hands down the best, stock vs stock anyways.

I went with the crf250l, and I couldn't be happier. I ended up doing a full stage 1 performance package and had Race Tech make me a suspension made for my weight that is absolutely amazing, and I'm still at a total cost less than the Yamaha. I'll add a 305cc big bore kit this winter and have a much better bike than the Yamaha (in my opinion) for about the same price.

The Yamaha is a fantastic bike, but I think the Honda is a better clean slate to start with.

All that being said, the Honda isn't all that bad stock. I come from a long sport bike background, and the Honda is still a decent bike stock. Nothing great, but not nearly as bad as people will have you believe. I enjoyed my bike stock quit a bit before modifying it.

My vote is the Honda, but I may be biased haha. Can't go wrong with the Yamaha either though, just much more expensive.

You nailed it. The Yamaha is hands down the best, stock vs stock anyways.

I went with the crf250l, and I couldn't be happier. I ended up doing a full stage 1 performance package and had Race Tech make me a suspension made for my weight that is absolutely amazing, and I'm still at a total cost less than the Yamaha. I'll add a 305cc big bore kit this winter and have a much better bike than the Yamaha (in my opinion) for about the same price.

The Yamaha is a fantastic bike, but I think the Honda is a better clean slate to start with.

All that being said, the Honda isn't all that bad stock. I come from a long sport bike background, and the Honda is still a decent bike stock. Nothing great, but not nearly as bad as people will have you believe. I enjoyed my bike stock quit a bit before modifying it.

My vote is the Honda, but I may be biased haha. Can't go wrong with the Yamaha either though, just much more expensive.

Goat,

I appreciate the feedback, I think I will look into the Honda more now. My only concern now is do i want to go Kawasaki. 

I like the lower cost of the Honda and Kawasaki if i went new. I do notice there are almost no Honda's used, the Kawasaki is more available in the pre-owned market. So perhaps there is a reason why, which would make be lean even more for the Honda. From your comments i would look into the race tech suspension upgrade. I am trying to get into dual sport for a lower cost and not get bored with my decision. 

Thanks,

Mike

Whatever you decide, if you choose the use Race Tech, be sure to mention this website. You get a 20% discount for being a member.

Each of the bikes you listed has their own subsection on this forum as well, so you could browse those sections and read through people posts about their likes and dislikes about each bike.

Have you thought of a DRZ400? Its dry weight is a few pounds lighter, has adjustable suspension, more motor punch due to the larger motor and a large aftermarket fallowing if you ever decide to farkle it. I rode all the 250 motos you listed and was not happy with any of them but I don't regret buying the DRZ in the end. If you are dead set on buying a 250 I would go with the Yamaha hands down.

Good luck in what ever you buy

Edited by Themanofallmen

I've ridden with a lot of people who own the KLX and they really like it.  I wouldn't consider Fuel Injection to be a huge bonus.  Fuel Injection rarely fails, but their fuel filters do get clogged.  I've went the route of buying a dualsport (DRZ) and putting a lot of money on upgrades and will never do it again.  If I bought the Kawasaki or Honda I would have to put money into the suspension, but if I bought the Yamaha I wouldn't (unless I weighed more then 200 lbs.).

I'd also consider a Husqvuarna or KTM.   You are most likely not going to put 20,000 miles on a 250 and there reliability is pretty good with proper care.  The 3 Japanese bikes you can pretty much neglect.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me start off by introducing myself, my name is Mike and I live is south jersey (tuckerton). I really want to get into the "legal" way of riding the pine barrens in south jersey. So I got my licence and now am on the market for a 250.

I am looking into a new or used dual sport, as all know you have the crf250l, klx250s, or the wr250r. Fuel injected or not, as far as I see it i have never had a fuel injected bike so would I really care if i had it? 

You can only get so much out of a review so next best thing is to ride one. No one gives rides though, you can sit on it in the dealer. I am interested in tips/advice or if someone in the area has a bike they would not mind letting me go on a 5 minute ride. 

I would go with the Honda, but they say it has no power or suspension adjustment. It is fuel injected though.

I would go with the Kawasaki, but it is carb and takes forever to warm up. (This is what I am leaning towards)

And the Yamaha, it costs "too much" and makes power only in the upper RPM.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Mike 

Ive got my klx250s and you can really transform the bike. I jetted it the other day, just another after the fmf powerbomb and q4. It has a lot of character i guess you could say. If you buy one with over 5k miles on it, buy a krieger manual cam chain tensioner... This was probably the best thing i did to the bike... even over the exhaust and carb. I do find myself struggling a little behind my friends streegle drz400-e and my other friends drz400-s. Long story short, the bike should keep you out of trouble, but the exhaust definitely makes me want to haul ass most the time tho. 

skatr, if you buy a 250 within a month your gonna be sayin I shoulda bought a bigger bike, try and find a good used one that you can ride and fix up and maybe flip it and make a few hundred bucks on, then look for a 350 or 400, imo a plated XR400 is one of the goat bikes, they are fast, almost indestructible, will go up or through anything, tons of aftermarket parts, etc,  you hardly ever see one for sale as their owners just love them...Roost

i myself own a wr250r and really like the bike when geared correctly it has good bottom end power for a 250 and the suspension is decent. it hasn't let me down yet i have ridden it almost 1000 miles this summer i only get to ride on the weekends and its been 90% offroad. i love the bike. but with that being said i wish i would have got the drz400 or a xl400 just for the power the wr does ok but when geared right to get the bottom end to be good you run out of good cruse rpm at about 55 that is with 14-52 gearing now a lighter rider then me could run 14-47 or 49 and be fine those gearing are comparable to 13-45 or 47 that most run i just like a bigger front sprocket less chain wear and slider wear. so with that said go with the 400 you will be much happier it is heavier but you can replace some parts with dr400 trail bike stuff and a few odds and ends and get it down under 300. 

I bought a CRF250L last summer and have 4500 miles on it now exactly a year later.  The little 250 scoots down the highway 65-70 just fine.  As long as you accept that its a 250 and didnt buy it expecting some crazy powerful, doing wheelies everytime you blip the throttle, you will be happy with it and not get bored.  For the last 6-7 years Iv had a GSX-R750 before getting the 250L, so I come from a bike that does 80mph in 1st gear, and I dont get bored with the 250 at all, it is what it is, a cheap little 250 dual sport, if thats what you expect when you buy it, you wont get bored of it, actually im more bored with the GSXR and it just sits in the garage now that I got the CRFL.  I love the bike and am very happy with it for what it is, jack of all trades, master of none.  If you read lots of comments on here and some reviews online (especially here) you will see lots of people dogging on it and trash talking how crappy of a bike it is, and its not good for anything, and its heavy, and cheap suspension, and this and that, they really make it out to be just a terrible bike.  Then go check out the CRF250L forum here, 99% of the people who ACTUALLY OWN one, are totally in love with it and are very happy.  Yes there are many better bikes out there, no argument there.  But there are basically zero bikes out there for the same price as the 250L, the only one close is the Kawasaki.  It sounds like the Kawi has better suspension, but then you read a lot of negatives about the carb and the bike being cold blooded to start.

The Yami also sounds like a good bike but the things I didnt like about it were the price, taller seat height (im a shorty), and looking at dynos, it has a very peaky powerband, all the power is up top near the redline.  The Honda and Kawi make more power than the Yami down in the lower and mid RPMs, the Yami dosnt start to out power the other two till it gets very high in the revs.  For a street bike/supermoto, that might be ok, but for a bike I want to take offroad, Ill take the one with more power down low than higher peak horsepower up on the top.  It sounds like the Yami has the best suspension out of the group thou.  Part of me just liked the looks of the CRFL also, nice and modern looking, the Yami looks a little old with the square headlight and old looking instrument panel.  The Kawi is a decent looking bike and more modern looking than the Yami also, but in that modern looking package they put a carbed engine, and I just wanted EFI, so the CRFL was the choice for me.  What gets me is they sell the Kawi with EFI in other countries.  I know some poeple love carbs still and see EFI on bikes as a bad thing, but Im not one of them.

• Like 3

Now this is all great. Thank you I think it just comes down to best deal. All of the input is appreciated and I will let everyone know what I end up with.

Mike

Any thoughts on the xt250 ?

I thought the xt 250 looks outdated.

Whatever you decide, if you choose the use Race Tech, be sure to mention this website. You get a 20% discount for being a member.

Each of the bikes you listed has their own subsection on this forum as well, so you could browse those sections and read through people posts about their likes and dislikes about each bike.

Wish I knew that earlier...did KLX300 fork springs & gold valves a couple months ago, no discount. :banghead:

Hello,

Im new to the forum as of July 2nd 2014.

My current bike is a 2011 KLR 650 and it works well for commuting and road with a lil dirt, gravel thrown in.

Im looking to get a lighter, older dual sport on an insane cheap budget...lol go fish, I know. (under $1499)

On the surface Im not afraid of kickstart only just wondering if a 350 is so much better that I ought to look in that direction.

Anyway, the XT 250 and 350 appeal to me, just wondering if a 1984 XT 250 is sooooo old that parts (bikebandit, oldbike barn, etc) especially the carb boot/manifold is unavailable , I couldnt find it easily on bikebandit a few minutes ago. Im assuming that any old bike like this is gonna need a carb boot/manifold on top of a good cleaning.

Is there a good source for 80s era XTs?

Thanks

Tanukee