The Electric Motocross Bikes Discussion/Opinions Page - Future of MX?

• 4 weeks later...

Alta is saying different stories. They said that battery is 5.2kWh. I know the technology level very well and I'm sure that such battery is not possible in this size and weight to enter mass production and be safe.

Most what is possible now in safe way is 3,5kWh.

Edited by kubamtx

Alta is saying different stories. They said that battery is 5.2kWh. I know the technology level very well and I'm sure that such battery is not possible in this size and weight to enter mass production and be safe.

Most what is possible now in safe way is 3,5kWh.

If you still think that, you are living in the past. Battery technology is improving rapidly.

The watercooled battery pack we're developing for our electric CRF project presently has 4.6 kwh, and when the batteries become available from the Tesla Nevada gigafactory, we'll have over 7 kwh in our battery pack.

Here's a sneak photo of our watercooled 4.6 kwh battery boxes, fresh from the powdercoater (for two bikes).

028002CB-EA95-48B4-9CA3-FB5DCB968D82.jpg

One battery set, as positioned in the CRF...

1F5306F1-040A-4E4F-B421-3471033568FD.jpg

6CA198C2-6D69-4197-BF56-4E6571C9ACD4.jpg

The 60 kw watercooled electrric motor, in the CRF chassis...

E60B195B-F72A-44D9-8060-15CDCBF18D0C.jpg

6D99F4E1-952E-4FDD-BB81-6CA3E422F6FD.jpg

This electric CRF will do things no gas bike could possibly do.....

Randy

• Like 2

Crf2r what system voltage are you going to use? 18650 cells or pouch cells ? On board or outside charger ?

kubamtx, good questions.

We're using a 300+ volt system, with watercooled 18650 cells. Definately an outside charger, for obvious weight reasons. We'll have a big pre-charged battery pack on the trailer for fast charging the bike at the track or trailhead.

Randy

If you still think that, you are living in the past. Battery technology is improving rapidly.

The watercooled battery pack we're developing for our electric CRF project presently has 4.6 kwh, and when the batteries become available from the Tesla Nevada gigafactory, we'll have over 7 kwh in our battery pack.

Here's a sneak photo of our watercooled 4.6 kwh battery boxes, fresh from the powdercoater (for two bikes).

028002CB-EA95-48B4-9CA3-FB5DCB968D82.jpg

One battery set, as positioned in the CRF...

1F5306F1-040A-4E4F-B421-3471033568FD.jpg

6CA198C2-6D69-4197-BF56-4E6571C9ACD4.jpg

The 60 kw watercooled electrric motor, in the CRF chassis...

E60B195B-F72A-44D9-8060-15CDCBF18D0C.jpg

6D99F4E1-952E-4FDD-BB81-6CA3E422F6FD.jpg

This electric CRF will do things no gas bike could possibly do.....

Randy

Any videos or specs on what this thing can do on a track? Looks fun!

Nice. If your going to sell it remember about creepage distances according to LVD directive.

Are you going to use TE LEV relays or some semiconductor solutions ?

I'll have to get back to you on this...I'm not the technical guy. I can assure you, it's being done right.

Any videos or specs on what this thing can do on a track? Looks fun!

We don't have any videos of this bike in action yet, but when we do, you'll probably see it here first...

For the time being, I'm having fun riding my new '15 CRF250. 6.1 hours on it so far...It's a pretty good upgrade to my '06 CRF250...

Randy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ha, I resemble that statement. I'd say don't beat it till ya try it.  Try riding a dirt bike down this hill in these conditions.  Impossible. But on a downhill mtn bike, sweet.

This contest is academic and your statement is a joke.

Impossible? MX lost by 5 seconds in a 300 second race, I wouldn't call that impossible.

Second, it is a downhill race, a MX bike isn't designed for 1 purpose 1 direction. A true all terrain MX bike need the excess weight of engine, transmission, suspension and frame to be all around purpose. The mtn bike advantage is its light weight so it basically in the air most of the time.  To be fair, lets have a uphill race. Now I can say mtn bike is impossible, MX bike will kill the mtn bike without a sweat.

Thirdly, do this downhill race several more time, I bet the mtn biker will be tired and can not repeat the 1st trial time and/or the mtn bike will suffer structural damage.  A MX bike is like nothing happen to it.

Edited by mrtt

This contest is academic and your statement is a joke.

Impossible? MX lost by 5 seconds in a 300 second race, I wouldn't call that impossible.

Second, it is a downhill race, a MX bike isn't designed for 1 purpose 1 direction. A true all terrain MX bike need the excess weight of engine, transmission, suspension and frame to be all around purpose. The mtn bike advantage is its light weight so it basically in the air most of the time.  To be fair, lets have a uphill race. Now I can say mtn bike is impossible, MX bike will kill the mtn bike without a sweat.

Thirdly, do this downhill race several more time, I bet the mtn biker will be tired and can not repeat the 1st trial time and/or the mtn bike will suffer structural damage.  A MX bike is like nothing happen to it.

Exactly.

Have you tried riding or racing a downhill mountain bike? I don't mean riding a mountain bike downhill but a real race rig DH bike.  Fun as heck.  Fast manuevering and can handle some pretty crazy technical stuff. 

Wow, these e MX bikes are sweet but what holds them back is the limited battery life. Having to stop and recharge every 30mins would frustrate me after awhile as it breaks up the rhythm and can't be used for enduro or trail riding. But I definitely like the idea of not having to shift to save missed shifts or my arm pump and zero noise and emissions. 

Having to stop and recharge every 30mins would frustrate me after awhile as it breaks up the rhythm and can't be used for enduro or trail riding.

Yep. 30 minutes wouldn't even get me halfway through my shortest rides, and I'd be miles from the truck with no way to recharge. That's a deal breaker for trail riding for me.

But someday...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exactly.

Have you tried riding or racing a downhill mountain bike? I don't mean riding a mountain bike downhill but a real race rig DH bike.  Fun as heck.  Fast manuevering and can handle some pretty crazy technical stuff. 

Wow, these e MX bikes are sweet but what holds them back is the limited battery life. Having to stop and recharge every 30mins would frustrate me after awhile as it breaks up the rhythm and can't be used for enduro or trail riding. But I definitely like the idea of not having to shift to save missed shifts or my arm pump and zero noise and emissions. 

Nope, I don't feel safe going fast downhill on a flimsy mountain bike. My mountain bike has been hanging in my garage for the past 15 years.  I only ride it twice. The vibration is too much for me.  Riding a MX dirtbike is like riding a Cadillac compare to riding a mountain bike.  With a MX, I can go on any slope I want without too much sweating.  A 30 mins battery life is still better than peddling hard for 30 mins on a mountain bike.