spooledupgti

Xr200r Cam Chain way to loose

Hello I just recently got a brand new timing chain for my bike off XRSONLY.com I gave them a call and yet to hear back from them so im jumping on here to ask questions.. there is a cam tensioner that slides up and down with the engine running but i couldnt seem to get the chain to tighten up for me. so i took off the pulse generator and at the lower end the flywheel.. what i seen didnt look to good to me.. the chain is to the point that its so loose that i can jump a tooth with just my finger.. the shaft for the cam tensioner slides up and down to adjust how much it pushes on the chain.. i started to try to do it by hand to make sure it was adjusting right but i dont even think its frees up the slack enough to make it safe.. when you push the cam tensioner up to the top and makes the tensioner push into the chain (tighten) then when you pull it down and takes away from it (loosen). Is there something im missing or?

I have the bolt in at the top of the cam tensioner before someone asks since its not in the picture. I counted the links on the chain its 100 which i believe what it calls for, i mean the chain looks like it can have a 1/2 link to a link out to make it work right i had a old chain from a 125 which is two links short and it almost fits.. does anyone have any ideas for me.. :banghead:camchainaspx_zpsfa547383.jpeg

As you can see in the picture the chain is slapping the middle of that piece of engine.. i was almost thinking about taking up the slack by shoving something up between the cam tensioner and the wall to help bow it out in the middle to apply more pressure on to the chain..

I also wanted to add inside the yellow that got hit by a peice of engine that broke off and got bent i fix it back to where it looks like it needs to be would that have anything to do with the cam tensioner?
photo_zps07d47690.jpg

camchain.aspx.jpeg

photo.JPG

Edited by spooledupgti

"I have the bolt in at the top of the cam tensioner before someone asks since its not in the picture."

I did list that in the info but yes it was..

i figured it out the tensioner piece at the lower were it slides up and down it was ( you can kinda see it in the picture ) bent to a L shape what is need to look like is about a 45 angle on like in this picture.. i pulled it out and bent it back down and bowed the middle out more and it looks brand new!honda-xr200-1980-usa-cam-chaintensioner_

Buy a new tensioner set. Also new chain should be much tighter than that????? Your sprockets worn out from before????

Something is amiss here. The part you highlighted doesn't do anything as far as tensioning. You can see that the spring loaded arm is fully extended and is not even making contact with the tensioner. You can also see that the tensioner is in almost it's highest position. Worn guides can't account for that much slack. So either you have the wrong chain or the tensioner is bent or it isn't attached properly at the top.

• Like 2

Chadzu is correct. I believe you have a 125 tensioner (1/4" shorter to start with) and no way a new chain would be close to that loose. Sure you dont have a 125 cylinder on that as exactly 1/4 shorter and those models 125's use a BS25-98 chain where as 185/200's use a BS25-100 link chain. Plus like I said before your tensioner looks bent.

A new chain with good sprockets should have virtually no slack and tensioner would be close to bottomed out.

In the post by "spooledupgti" on June 21, 2014- 04:53 PM he shows an exploded view of the cam chain/tensioner. I've rebuilt my 2002 XR200R many times and am in the middle of another rebuild. I've ordered the following parts: items # 2, 3 and 8 as well as a head gasket. The main problem here is that the chain elongates with use. By the way, there's a good write up on page 7-15 in the 2000-2002 Honda Service Manual on this section. Rock_Hound, Sept. 12, 2014

Edited by Rock_Hound

I have the exact same problem with my bike I noticed when I took it off to do a top end rebuild because my bike quietly seized you think the loose chain gas something to do with it and spooldubgti what did you end up doing????

On 7/2/2014 at 12:42 PM, chadzu said:

Something is amiss here. The part you highlighted doesn't do anything as far as tensioning. You can see that the spring loaded arm is fully extended and is not even making contact with the tensioner. You can also see that the tensioner is in almost it's highest position. Worn guides can't account for that much slack. So either you have the wrong chain or the tensioner is bent or it isn't attached properly at the top.

You can put a little bolt down in the middle of it and pull up and that will tieten it up 

On 6/21/2014 at 4:53 PM, spooledupgti said:

"I have the bolt in at the top of the cam tensioner before someone asks since its not in the picture."

I did list that in the info but yes it was..

i figured it out the tensioner piece at the lower were it slides up and down it was ( you can kinda see it in the picture ) bent to a L shape what is need to look like is about a 45 angle on like in this picture.. i pulled it out and bent it back down and bowed the middle out more and it looks brand new!honda-xr200-1980-usa-cam-chaintensioner_

Easy to get the wrong chain, and easy to check.  I suggest checking the box it came in, somewhere it should have a number that indicates the number of links. A XR185/200 uses a 100 link chain, CRF230 use a longer chain, and as previously reported the 125s use a shorter chain. 

The whole mechanism pushes up on #3 and causes it to bow against the slack side of the chain. #8 guides the tension side of the chain.

14 hours ago, Dewayne Thompson said:

You can put a little bolt down in the middle of it and pull up and that will tieten it up 

If you look at the pictures the OP put up in the first post you can clearly see that putting a little bolt down in the middle of it will in no way tighten it up.

On 6/21/2014 at 7:59 AM, spooledupgti said:

Hello I just recently got a brand new timing chain for my bike off XRSONLY.com I gave them a call and yet to hear back from them so im jumping on here to ask questions.. there is a cam tensioner that slides up and down with the engine running but i couldnt seem to get the chain to tighten up for me. so i took off the pulse generator and at the lower end the flywheel.. what i seen didnt look to good to me.. the chain is to the point that its so loose that i can jump a tooth with just my finger.. the shaft for the cam tensioner slides up and down to adjust how much it pushes on the chain.. i started to try to do it by hand to make sure it was adjusting right but i dont even think its frees up the slack enough to make it safe.. when you push the cam tensioner up to the top and makes the tensioner push into the chain (tighten) then when you pull it down and takes away from it (loosen). Is there something im missing or?

I have the bolt in at the top of the cam tensioner before someone asks since its not in the picture. I counted the links on the chain its 100 which i believe what it calls for, i mean the chain looks like it can have a 1/2 link to a link out to make it work right i had a old chain from a 125 which is two links short and it almost fits.. does anyone have any ideas for me.. :banghead:camchainaspx_zpsfa547383.jpeg

As you can see in the picture the chain is slapping the middle of that piece of engine.. i was almost thinking about taking up the slack by shoving something up between the cam tensioner and the wall to help bow it out in the middle to apply more pressure on to the chain..

I also wanted to add inside the yellow that got hit by a peice of engine that broke off and got bent i fix it back to where it looks like it needs to be would that have anything to do with the cam tensioner?
photo_zps07d47690.jpg

camchain.aspx.jpeg

photo.JPG

Here is a picture of the cam chain tension stuff on my XR200 mule engine, all used parts. Notice how far down the end of the chain guide extends.

1373531343_XR200CamChainTensioner.jpg.6a00c9b55e18d783770c7c6a6aea37d3.jpg