Sign in to follow this  

Caloric Stator wiring diagram Aussie model

Hi all. I have just purchased a caltric stator from eBay - in desperation due to my old one being sent away and the repairer going on long service leave for 3 months. Anyway when I fitted it the wiring diagram in the box was completely wrong and the colours of the wires on the new unit are different to those of the original, except for the black/red wire. There is 2 white wires, 1 green and a yellow however there is the pink wire on the bike that has thrown me the most. Has anyone fitted one of these? It's a 1994 XR600 Australian build.

Thanks.

Edited by benny579

Anyway I sorted the wiring out now I have a weak spark, sometimes none. I have done all the electrical tests in my clymer manual and can only put it down to the ignition control module ( which can't be tested-process of elimination apparently) It just won't start at all, whereas it would always start first kick and only started breaking down when hot so I thought it was the stator. Any ideas anyone????

Caltric huh..that joker normally charges like a wounded bull..Seen him advertise CDIs on Ebay for $500..Dunno what his game was with them..$70 US from Ebay is about normal for a 600 CDI new..What was the bike behaving like when it broke down..Describe what it was acting like as best you can..What is the ignition control module,,Are you meaning the CDI???

Thanks Horri.

The bike was running fine then all of a sudden it started sort of missing badly under acceleration when hot then would die. I had to leave it 10 minutes before starting then limp it home. Eventually I couldn't rev it at all while I was doing the trouble shooting. It has always started well hot or cold. I tested everything and the stator was the only thing that didn't test exactly to spec so going on info from forums I changed it out. So when I installed it I tested the spark and it was strong but as I went to start it wouldn't fire like normal (at all). So I tested everything again and it's all in spec, only the black box/cdi/ ignition control module (that's what the clymer manual calls it) can't be tested, so I have one on the way from a wrecker. Hopefully it's a good one. Also the spark plug which is brand new I checked it again today and the guts of it has fallen apart. Tried another plug, still a weak spark. I can hold it with my hand and only get a small buzz.

Horri, the stator has 5 wires. Black/red, green, yellow and 2 whites. The black/red matches and gives spark. The pink and yellow on the original harness, don't match the other 4 on the caltric harness. Any ideas? The 2 white are for an upgraded lighting system and the green & yellow ??? I can only guess into the regulator/rectifier which is actually green and white/yellow trace. I found your Aussie wiring diagram on here. This leaves the pink and yellow on bike unused? Thanks.

I'm not at home at present but I'll look at some wiring diagrams later today and see if I can help you there.

The being unable to rev the bike sounds like it may be a shagged ignition coil..I can't of course be sure.

What normally happens with them if they are defective is you can get the bike to run but once the bike warms

the spark breaks down and you have to continually rev the engine up and down  to keep it running..Bike eventually dies

but once cool you can restart it but the same thing happens again..I've never had it occur on a 600  but did have

it happen years ago on an SL125,,That's my thoughts on the possible cause.

mmm..Yeah..I may have but that doesn't mean it'll be the problem..Changing it out or borrowing an ignition coil from another

XR/XL or other compatible bike is the best way to go rather than outlaying cash on a new one. The info I have on 600 coils is below..I picked it up from somewhere around the web..I can't be sure it's right but I'll post it anyway.

Honda XL/XR coils are the same for these bikes.

XR 650R/600/400/80/70

TRX 500/450/400/350/300/250/90

XR/XL 250

NSR 250

CRF 80/70

DR 350/250/200

LTF250

RGV 250

AN 125

TR 50 street magic

If you can borrow one from someone with one of them it'd be a test of the theory before you buy a new one.

Regards those Stator wires..I have no wiring diagram for the Caltric and I've looked around the web and found nothing.

I'm hopeless at trying to figure out Stator wires from non oem people..Everyone of them use the wrong coloured wires and don't provide enough info..We've been through the same thing dozens of times here. Does your bike have a regulator/rectifier and also a regulator.???.Pinks supposed to go to the reg/rec along with about 3 other wires,,then another 2 normally go to the regulator on NZ/Aus XR..I really can't help on what goes where with the caltric stator..

Thanks for that. I will give it all a go this week, as I have mates with these bikes. As soon as I get a result I will repost. Might be a few days. Caltric reckon they have sold heaps with no comebacks. Typical !

Yes it has regulator near air box which is the green/ white yellow trace (I plugged the yellow & green there) and it leaves the pink and yellow wires which is the reg/rec that is up front and runs the light/indicators. When I asked caltric it sounded as though they had no idea , couldn't get a straight answer, other than the 2 white wires were for upgraded lighting.

Have you got a link to the wiring diagram that I originally posted..I have a lot of different 600 diagrams..One of the others may be better. ??

What colour wires have you got coming off the reg/rec???..Your bike have a battery or is it running a condenser in its place??

Yeah I got your diagram. Mine doesn't have a battery. The reg at the back has a green and white/yellow trace wires the one on the front has yellow/pink/green/black wires.

I replaced the coil and she fired, all going well. Only I have the pink and yellow wires still unattached. I hooked them up to the two white wires and near cooked the regulator up front. Unhooked them and it stills runs lights and all????

mmm..As I say I'm not much chop trying to figure out what wires go to where from the new stator..The Regulator on our and Euro XR handle only the tailight..ie..stop it from blowing..The Reg /rec I think only handle the headlight.ie..stop it from blowing.

Best I can do is post another wiring diagram of the Euro XR which have both the reg and reg/rec..It has all the correct coloured and amount of wires coming from the Stator and going to the loom..I think you should only have one white connected..to where I'm unsure,,Reg or reg/rec..The green,,No idea where it should go..The yellow,,maybe the reg..maybe the reg/rec..I can't post the diagram at the moment as my connections too bad to upload stuff..Tomorrow I'll go down for a coffee at the local cafe and upload it from there..

What did the two whites nearly cook,,the regulator or the reguator/rectifier ???

Thanks Horri look forward to seeing the diagram. Thanks heaps for your help. It nearly cooked the rec/reg which is up next to the indicator relay. If I unhook it I only lose the horn, indicators and the speedo light dims. Obviously these stators aren't made for road rego models.

Cheers.

120p6hi.jpg

OK..I hope that helps..German obviously but you should be able to work it out..I'm pretty sure OZ and NZ are wired the same..

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1